Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
estephanj99
Newcomer I

Mentorship needed

I wanted to know if anyone has possible time to help/mentor me in the cybersecurity field?

8 Replies
ericgeater
Community Champion

Tell us about your background, and why you're looking for this guidance.

--
"A claim is as good as its veracity."
estephanj99
Newcomer I

im currently a Business tech analyst.. I have a B.S in security systems- cybersecuriy & taking my Masters in cybersecuriy, also have my sec+. As I'm sure everyone has, im having trouble getting my foot in the door. with so many different avenues to take i believe some guidance would be a tremendous help.

Appreciate any feedback!
dcontesti
Community Champion

So during these times, one on mentoring is a little difficult, however folks on the Community are here to answer your questions, help you with concerns.

Actually, some of us still learn on a regular basis from things posted here.

In your reply to Eric, you have not said what your experience level however, I am reading no actual hands on experience.

As I have suggested in the past:

- volunteer at your church or synagogue 

- volunteer at the local YMCA

- take either the SSCP or CISSP exam and become an associate

- join a local chapter (I did see your post on that....but if NYC is meeting, check out some of the others that post here on the community and are holding virtual events).  This step will help your find a local mentor and also build your network.

You did not say if you were presently employed or not.

If you are, then go and talk to the Security boss and let them know you are interested or let your immediate supervisor know.

But for now, you can post here, and a number of us will be happy to reply either privately or publicly.

Regards

d

CraginS
Defender I

@dcontesti wrote:

As I have suggested in the past:

- volunteer at your church or synagogue 

- volunteer at the local YMCA

- take either the SSCP or CISSP exam and become an associate

- join a local chapter (I did see your post on that....but if NYC is meeting, check out some of the others that post here on the community and are holding virtual events).  This step will help your find a local mentor and also build your network. ...

Estaphan @estephanj99 

When Diana says "local chapter" please do not interpret that as only an (IC)2 chapter. There may not be one near you. Look for chapters of any of several relevant organizations focused on information security, including ISSA, OWASP, ISACA, etc. ISSA chapters, in particular, generally have programs to assist new folks in the field.

Also, given that more and more chapters are using online resources for meetings, do not limit your search to just your city. Look state-wide and nearby metro centers.

Good luck!

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts
dcontesti
Community Champion

thanks for the catch on that one

😉

estephanj99
Newcomer I

I'm currently working as a Business tech analyst. I have spoken to my CISO - unfortunately there aren't any available positions right now in the company.

by volunteering, do you mean volunteer (church, YMCA) to do their security analysis?

thanks for the response!
estephanj99
Newcomer I

I'm actually getting my Masters from Capital Tech. What was your experience with them? I had a choice of Hoftra or capital.
CraginS
Defender I

@estephanj99 wrote:
I'm actually getting my Masters from Capital Tech. What was your experience with them? I had a choice of Hoftra or capital.

Estephan,

My DSc in Cybersecurity is from CapTechU, where I went 2021-2014. Holler directly by phone or email if you wish to talk about the school. And give Bill Butler a HEY from me!

Craig

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts