cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ISTREDD
Viewer

MENTOR NEEDED

GOOD EVENING, 

I am currently a Marine holding the job of an Information Security Technician. I have only been doing this job for a little under a year, but I know this is a Career Field I would love to continue once I retire in 9 more years. The CISSP is something I keep hearing about, but I'm clueless.

I would love a mentor in this field. I would love a brain to pick. 

How much does this cert cost?

best study materials?

do I need the five year experiance to test?

what other certs do you recommend in order to secure an high paying job?

14 Replies
CyberLead
Newcomer III

@Caute_cautim

Thank you sir. I am humbled by your compliments and between your post and Ben's, my wife has cautioned me about not letting them go to my head! 🙂

Your posts are well-thought out, and indicative of an insightful intellect.

I'm glad you raised the point about what veterans may bring to the table. My experience, both in the service and later as a civilian consultant, reinforced my belief that the military typically gives young people (very young, in my case) a tremendous amount of responsibility, including the ultimate responsibility for human lives. The reason – in my opinion – why this works more often than it fails is due to the relentless amount of training each warfighter receives. Throughout their career, regardless of their role, ongoing training is a fact of life. In my experience this appreciation of the value of persistent training is not recognized as readily in the civilian world – be it civilian public or private sector.

Lloyd Diernisse

ISC2 Authorized Instructor and Learning Tree International Certified Instructor
Lean Six Sigma Black Belt | CISSP-ISSMP | CCSP | CGRC | PMP | CSM | CMMI-A | ITIL-Fv3
Caute_cautim
Community Champion

I know that feeling, I have a wife with similar wisdom, who keeps me grounded.   I spent 20 years in the UK Government myself, traveling all over the world, before my wife challenged me, suggested as I was going no where, to go into the Private world.   I joined Marconi SecureTrust, as their Principal Security Consultant, which led to opting to migrate to New Zealand, where IBM literally picked me up and where I have developed ever since - a world of ever increasing of engagements, learning and innovation.  Where development is driven by yourself, and deliberately challenged regularly to assist others and develop those coming up behind us. 

@CyberLead wrote:

@Caute_cautim

Thank you sir. I am humbled by your compliments and between your post and Ben's, my wife has cautioned me about not letting them go to my head! 🙂

Your posts are well-thought out, and indicative of an insightful intellect.

I'm glad you raised the point about what veterans may bring to the table. My experience, both in the service and later as a civilian consultant, reinforced my belief that the military typically gives young people (very young, in my case) a tremendous amount of responsibility, including the ultimate responsibility for human lives. The reason – in my opinion – why this works more often than it fails is due to the relentless amount of training each warfighter receives. Throughout their career, regardless of their role, ongoing training is a fact of life. In my experience this appreciation of the value of persistent trading is not recognized as readily in the civilian world – be it civilian public or private sector.

Regards

Caute_Cautim

CISOScott
Community Champion

@ISTREDD wrote:

GOOD EVENING, 

I am currently a Marine holding the job of an Information Security Technician. I have only been doing this job for a little under a year, but I know this is a Career Field I would love to continue once I retire in 9 more years.

what other certs do you recommend in order to secure an high paying job?

Since others have addressed the other points in your post let me address the one that stood out to me, the part about securing a high paying job. I have seen plenty of people go into this field because of the anticipated great money they would be making only to find themselves going to a well paying job that they hated. Don't be one of them. If this is truly your passion and you love it know that you will be taking on a mantle of continuous learning. You will have to learn about emerging technology, read constantly to stay abreast of new attacks and strategies to mitigate them. If you want to become really good at it you will also need to return to the community and help others.

If you become good to excellent at what you do the money will come, if you apply yourself. Learn not only information security stuff but also learn management skills. If you are retiring from the Corps you should have risen to levels of leadership along your path. Since you have 9 years left see how far you can rise and how many management duties you can take on. DO NOT acquire short-timers disease. I have seen promising future careers shot down by this serious affliction. Take advantage of the Command Training Center (CTC) facilities on your base. I know I worked at one USMC base and the service members had to use the CTC at another base 45 minutes away. I offered it to several of my directs and only a few took me up on it.

If you want to become really successful in this field you have to get away from the mindset that security is a stop sign and needs to be more like a speed bump You will have to come up with innovative ways to provide security with the funds/resources/talent level you have. Also do not get locked into the federal government's compliance mindset. Compliance does not always equal security but security can be compliance if applied correctly.

There should be numerous other free resources so ask around. I know that the NKO (Navy Knowledge Online) used to offer skillsoft courses for free, used to pay for certification fees, and had other free resources. The MCCS main library online used to offer access to online resources like Safari books online and books 24x7.

Read management books to learn to start thinking like management because to become successful in this field as a CISO (if that is where you want to be) you will need to be able to balance security requirements versus management abilities/resources. You didn't mention salary ranges you were looking to land in so it makes it hard for us to know what you consider high paying. When I was only making $5/hr back in the day, $10/hr was a high paying job to me. You can find plenty of analyst type roles in the $50-75$K range. Management can take you over the six figure number. Gov Contractors and consultants can also provide high pay (6 figures) with a trade-off of stability.

Hope this helps.

TimJing
Viewer II

I tell all the young guys in this field to:

Be curious.

Watch or podcast Security Weekly.

Learn the value of scripting and parse logs.

Caute_cautim
Community Champion

If only logs were available all the time - often the periodic statement is made - but we don't collect logs....