Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Champion

Re: Listing Certifications and Degrees in Signature Blocks or Business Cards

Yes! @Andy69 I agree. I have heard legends of the "Jail House" lawyer who can put Matlock to shame. However, because I am unfamiliar with the felon who knows law, I'd be partial to choosing an attorney who has passed the bar as my first requirement. I feel that I'd take the same approach in choosing to hire a security professional. I didn't actually make this rule, I just follow it.
Lamont Robertson
M.S., M.A., CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC
Contributor II

Frankly. I rarely read the signature blocks of other people in or outside of my organization in the first place so advertising my long list of certifications and educational studies still seems pointless past the first email in the chain.

Only reason I use it the first time is because of the corporate email policy in the first place. Add to that, 99.99 percent of folks I do interact with are not security people but business people adding a long list of certs over and over only creates more questions than reassurance. Its a nice way of saying most people don't know; don't care or don't know why someone would do such a thing. Ever see a recruiter's email signature with an MBA in the signature? Its just as meaningless to the audience.

Listing degrees and certs is probably best left for academia but adds little, if any benefit in the corporate world.

Highlighted
Community Champion

@Beads I totally agree. I honestly don't know why it's a question deserving of so much scrutiny. This thread should have ended a long time ago.
Lamont Robertson
Community Champion

I will admit that I have stuck my CISSP (and my MCISE, aka M.Sc.) into signature blocks (both paper and virtual) and presentation title slides on occasion.  As a famous poster in the forum puts it, context is everything.

But I also have to admit that my first and automatic reaction when I see a string of alphabet soup posted indiscriminately (no, @Lamont29, I'm thinking of someone on the forum who eventually shortened his sigblock to "CISSP + 14 more") is to think of jokes about "size matters" and overcompensation ...

This message may or may not be governed by the terms of
http://www.noticebored.com/html/cisspforumfaq.html#Friday or
https://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/1468
Community Champion

@rslade,

I would never take offense to something like this. In fact, when I first started posting, it was unintended on my part to list a litany of certifications and educational achievements on EVERY response or post - that was an automated systems process that began when I initially created my signature block. I went back to see that there was a check box that I could disable in my automated response. I modified that to stop because I was tired of it myself and not because it may have annoyed others; though, I go out of my way not to be obnoxious.

When this subject kept coming up in the thread, I did think that "hey, maybe they are talking about me?" And why wouldn't you be as perturbed as I am? You see, everybody farts, but when you have to run away from your own fart, then you can only imagine how someone else who smells it gags! (Just a bit of humor, but true!).

Still, I believe that if people put their credentials in their business cards, then that's totally appropriate. You may cross paths with an individual who totally need or requires that information.

Lamont Robertson
Newcomer I

I have a lot of certs. I include them sometimes because I am a woman and I run into a lot of people that still assume I'm speaking on behalf of someone who knows (a male) and I'm not the actual person who knows something.  I feel like I have to continually remind people that I'm educated and experienced.  I still run into a lot of people who are surprised that a woman has done so much.

When I see someone with the alphabet soup, I look to see what I have in common with that person, and use the language of a cert to establish a connection.  I also see a person with certs as someone who is taking a role seriously, and who is working on staying current and valuable.

I also sometimes think that the person (like me) needs some validation that he/she knows what he/she is talking about. I have a lot of ego tied up with being knowledgeable.

I spend a lot of time learning.

I'm a sixty year old woman. And a bunch of you are going to read that sentence and dismiss everything I've said.

Community Champion

@PlannerKSH wrote:

I have a lot of certs. I include them sometimes because I am a woman and I run into a lot of people that still assume I'm speaking on behalf of someone who knows (a male) and I'm not the actual person who knows something.

Do you want to talk to the man in charge, or the woman who actually understands what's going on?  :-)

@PlannerKSH wrote:

I'm a sixty year old woman. And a bunch of you are going to read that sentence and dismiss everything I've said.

True, and sad.  But I understand what you mean about having to prove yourself with a cert listing.  I have one of my standing sigblocks that lists my published books.  (I find that more effective that the cert list.)  I pretty much only use it when I'm replying to recruiters and such.

Then there was the time I was sent off to teach in Germany.  Had a call with the host, and he was oddly cold.  (I later found that the org had badly bungled with the first instructor sent.)  While I was on the plane the guy Googled me--and found my entry in Wikipedia.  Apparently just the fact that I had an entry in Wikipedia made the reception when I landed a lot different.  (This is also what my grandkids' school friends find most impressive  :-)

This message may or may not be governed by the terms of
http://www.noticebored.com/html/cisspforumfaq.html#Friday or
https://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/1468
Contributor I

I now have 9 certifications...nope I'm not going to list all that stuff under my name in my signature block of emails.

My employer likes me to list my ISC2 certs, and my ISACA certs, so I do.

When people start listing rows of certifications/degrees, it starts to invite a pissing match... in my opinion.

Clancy