cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Caute_cautim
Community Champion

Is this a good thing or not?

HI All

It appears in USA, name your price, if you have the right skills?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-08-07/cybersecurity-pros-name-their-price-as-hacker-att...

Is it real, or just a sign of the times?

However, are the organisations going to sift out their jokers?

Regards

Caute_cautim

2 Replies
vt100
Community Champion

Time, I suspect, will show. With current average burn rate or a turnover of around 2 years for CISO, it may very well become a self-perpetuating problem.

The discussion is ongoing about us being able to communicate the risks to our boards and where the line is drawn between our responsibilities and capabilities (as defined by our mandates, availability of resources, etc...).

Then there is always a chance. You can do everything right and something awful may slip-by, either because your vision is not quite materialized (i.e. you did not yet get your ducks in a row), or because some nasty is quite new and unexpected, that all the due diligence could not possibly have addressed. 

So, whether you'll win a lottery or are thrown under the bus, may or may not reflect the quality of the services provided.

Ours is to try our best, then try harder, (while keeping our fingers crossed in hopes of getting "there"), before it's too late.

After all, these numbers are there because there are problems that must be addressed, whether known or not yet, and the hire is often enough prompted by the "event".

Ask me in a year, I may have more to say on the subject.

canLG0501
Newcomer III

Is it real, or just a sign of the times?

I believe nationally we are seeing signs of the times.  The days of old are long gone when security initiatives are mere exercises performed annually.  The CISO role is critical to business operations.  Seasoned professionals and newcomers alike should opt to request incentives that revolve around continued training to ensure they are current with today's threat landscape.  Remaining current will always enhance your hiring fit.