cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kcf9889
Newcomer II

In TERRIBLE NEED of Mentorship

Hello Everyone!

I'm in terrible need of career mentorship. I've been trying to break out into the infosec field for over two years now. Unfortunately, I've had zero luck. If anyone is interested in mentorship, please let me know.

I live in the Youngstown, Ohio area but anyone from any area would be wonderful.

Thank you!

14 Replies
dcontesti
Community Champion

Have you considered doing some volunteer work with local organizations, you learn while helping out.

Join a local chapter of (ISC)2 or ISSA or ISACA (I find this the best way to find mentors and sometimes even sponsors).

If there aren't any chapters that you can join, here is some reading that was provided on another channel

https://cybercanon.paloaltonetworks.com/

Good luck on your endeavours.

Diana

Skhonig
Newcomer II

I ran into this problem 5 1/2 years ago and I am still seeing this problem.  I have heard from many who are trying to get into cybersecurity even though there are "jobs going unfilled".

Not sure what your situation is, but have you considered going abroad?  I did that and know of many Americans who have found it much easier finding employment.

Cheers

AppDefects
Community Champion

@kcf9889 wrote:

Hello Everyone!

I'm in terrible need of career mentorship. I've been trying to break out into the infosec field for over two years now. Unfortunately, I've had zero luck. If anyone is interested in mentorship, please let me know.

I live in the Youngstown, Ohio area but anyone from any area would be wonderful.

Thank you!

Tell us about your experience to-date and what your infosec interests are. That will everyone finding a match.

DHerrmann
Contributor II

What's your LinkedIn profile URL?   It'd help to take a look at that so that we know where you're currently at.

CISOScott
Community Champion

When looking to breakout in the Infosec field you will need to learn this simple secret to success.

1) Be passionate about it.

2) Learn all you can. Volunteer for jobs that are going undone. When I was coming up in the IT field (IT was my passion) I found lots of security jobs going undone and I asked my bosses if I could do them. Very few of them told me no. This gave me lots of hands on experience to be able to increase my resume status. I learned a lot through trial and error. I set up lots of test networks with old equipment that was lying around. In learning how to setup IT networks I could learn how to better protect them. It also gave me insight into what my proposed security changes might effect. This helps me when dealing with the groups that will be affected by my infosec ideas and plans.

3) Be willing to do extra even if it means not getting paid for it now. I did a lot of extra stuff that was not in my job description that other people were supposed to be doing. Even though I could have denied the extra work and made others do it, I didn't. My pay was experience, not dollars. However that experience turned into lots of dollars later when I was able to apply for better jobs. I have seen too many people turn down a learning experience because they felt their employer was "Abusing them by making them do things without getting paid for it". IF it enhances your skills, take it on happily, even if it doesn't, having a supervisor/manager in your corner doesn't hurt either when applying for internal positions.

4) Pick an area of expertise and try to become very good at it.

5) If given a chance to learn managerial skills by taking on extra duties, do it. If you want to get above worker bee status, you will need to know about management and leadership qualities.

6) Soak up free information. You can search this forum for podcast recommendations. Do it and then listen to them. I like the Paul Security (security weekly) ones because you can learn a lot of the industry jargon by listening to them. Even if it is over your head, keep listening, you will get it eventually.

7) Get certified. It will help level the playing field when competing against others. I was qualified for several jobs just because I held the CISSP. One job I know it was the deciding factor. They had posted it as a job applicant requirement and I was their second choice. Their first choice said he didn't have it and WASN'T going to get it. Since I was a highly qualified second choice and I already had it, they offered me the position.

These are some basic ideas to get you started. Keep returning to these forums to learn more.

DHerrmann
Contributor II

One thing I remind people is that we all need to know exactly how our employer makes a profit (for-profit sector, of course). Once you really understand the business, you can start to determine your employer's risk appetite and start your strategy from there.

For example, what are your employer's biggest perceived risks. From there, see if you can provide services or get an "in" into the teams that address those high priority risks. And - network with people on that team. Also ask them for advice.
kcf9889
Newcomer II

kcf9889
Newcomer II

I've thought about going abroad, but I'm not sure where to even begin with that? I've pretty much given up on this country.
kcf9889
Newcomer II

My experience has been a couple of graduate classes and some random freelance work. My primary interest is actually in digital forensics.