Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RWBenoit
Newcomer I

Cyber resume service options and experiences?

Hello all.

Current CISSP holder here, with a general career question.  

I am fortunate to be currently working within the cyber security field, and interested in your feedback regarding resume preparation services.  Not looking to make a job change, however would like to update my resume, LinkedIn, etc - some updating is long overdue.

Realize that many will note the best job is one done yourself, and there is something to be said for this.  That said, does anyone have recommendations for resume services which specialize in the Cyber market, which they would share with the group?

Who would you recommend, and who have you used?

Best regards.

Rich

16 Replies
CEMyers
Newcomer III

If you are a member of the LinkedIn (Social Media for professionals) site, there are several plying their wares trough this site.  I am personally aware of a couple of others but they are UK recruitment industry specific.  I assume you want a more US-centric provider.

L_Kendall
Newcomer I

Congress will have a Career Center with hiring professionals who will happily look at your resume with you. You can make an appointment here: http://congress.isc2.org/events/-isc-security-congress-2018/custom-167-cc8d20c1501d4338adf1ab0c471ea... 

Daniel-Nash1
Newcomer III

Thank you!  That is fantastic.

Will there be any options for those whom are not able to attend?

StevenJ6052
Newcomer III

To expand on an earlier point about hiring managers not being able to read 9 point print, That spot on. I have been a hiring manager for the past fifteen years and have reviewed scores of resumes during that time. I would say that less than 5% of resumes make effective use of white space.

A page filled from margin to margin with dense text is just too hard to read, and will likely get no more than a brief scan before getting placed in the “no” pile.

the readers eye should be drawn to the key points of your story, frame those parts with white space, use an easily read font. And most of all don’t make the reader exert undue energy to find out why you are the right candidate for the job!

viveksilla
Viewer II

When you engage a professional resume writer, unfortunately most of them do not understand cyber security and hence the outcome is not too nice. And the effort involved from you is much more in going back and forth with the resume writer and correcting their deliverables. Ultimately what you end up gaining from the professional resume writer is just the template, which you can definitely get it for free online and hence not worth paying the amount. 

Would recommend to write it yourself, get it reviewed by your friends in the field and from someone who is good in english. Avoid common mistakes such as spelling and grammar as it is a turn off.

RWBenoit
Newcomer I

This is the common theme. There was one 'service' I found and after
reviewing their web page found a typo. Absolutely true.
CISOScott
Community Champion

When I ran my federal resume writing business it was less about the resume and more about how to play the federal game. Yes I did have one client who knew how to play the game and had all of the keywords included but her resume was a mess. Over 120 grammar mistakes, misspellings, typos, etc. I circled each one and told her it looked like I had slit my wrists over her resume. Once we cleaned that up she started to get interview offers. I also would sit down with the person and get me to tell them about themselves and what they had accomplished in the work roles. You might be amazed at how bad people were in bragging about themselves. Also the federal system relied on having a questionnaire answered and the resume needed to match up so there was some "inside baseball" type of knowledge in helping them. The grammar and punctuation was a basic check.

Get someone to sit down with you and go over all of the things you did and see if you can come up with some compelling stories.  Also practice interviewing if you have not done so already.