Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
david-shearer
ISC2 Former Staff

Certificate and Certification are NOT Synonymous Terms

I frequently hear people refer to a Certificate Program as a Certification Program and vice versa.  These are simply not synonymous terms. It's far easier to bring a Certificate Program to market than a Certification Program from development and maintenance perspectives and considering ISO/IEC 17024 requirements.

But don't take it from me, the Institute for Credentialing Excellence does a nice job of comparing and contrasting Certificate versus Certification.  Please see the table below and the attached PDF.

Certificate versuse Certification Table From ICE.JPG

Regards,

David Shearer

CEO, (ISC)2

Thanks,

David Shearer
| CEO | dshearer@isc2.org | www.isc2.org | iamcybersafe.org |
15 Replies
Gunner
Newcomer III

I see this happen all the time.  I get resume's listing CISSP, PMP, etc... but when I don't see their "member number" I immediately assume certificate and not certification.  I call and ask if they've actually taken the exam by ISC(2), PMI, Microsoft, etc... and that is when I'm told "I took a boot camp, a course, etc... and I earned a certificate...".  At that point I just say thank you and I will not interview them.  I've lost trust, simple as that.  If they list their certification number I do validate it.  It is NOT synonymous to me either.

Best regards,
Rick
CISSP, PMP, ITILv3, LSSGB
Omie
Reader I

This is good to know.  I've always assumed that listing CISSP, etc. on the resume implied that the certification had been earned.

ABlackburn
Newcomer I

I took my CISSP exam last November and have all my endorsements and am a fully certified CISSP, I have a Certification Number but I have NEVER put this number on my CV.

I protect this number and it is unique to me, if I'm asked for it, from a legitimate agency, I will give it, but ir isn't something I publicize.

david-shearer
ISC2 Former Staff

Congratulations and thanks for being a member of (ISC)2!

I recommend you use you (ISC)2 digital badge if asked for membership/certification validation from a legitimate agency. To learn more, take a look at:  https://www.isc2.org/Certifications/Digital-Badges 

Regards,

David Shearer

CEO, (ISC)2

dshearer@isc2.org

Thanks,

David Shearer
| CEO | dshearer@isc2.org | www.isc2.org | iamcybersafe.org |
Gunner
Newcomer III

I understand what you are saying but from the hiring side, expect someone to contact you to provide it for verification.  Too many lie about their certifications.  They've expired; not kept active, yet they report that they are certified.  They must be validated.  

As for the legitimate agency I would assume that if someone asked you for you certification number that you must have applied for a position with that agency and would be expecting to be asked to provide proof.  For us who are honest about it, it's not an issue.  For those actually doing the hiring, you need to validate.

Best regards,
Rick
Gunner
Newcomer III

David,

Excellent point and there are other vendors that provide this great service as well.  My concern that I wanted to point out to others is that a lot of people "think" this way (Subject of Post).  Some honestly believe there is no difference.  Then there are others who do know the difference and lie about their certifications.  For those on the hiring side, like myself, it's always best to validate.  I've found so many people exaggerating about their certifications, degrees, etc...  it's truly sad.  For those of us who put in all the hard work in accomplishing these milestones, it's tough to swallow seeing others try and claim something they never earned.

Best regards,
Rick
CISOScott
Community Champion

I always assumed that if they listed it by name that they held the certification and not just went to a bootcamp and got a certificate, I guess I will have to follow up more in depth in the future. I agree. If I found out that an applicant has stated that they hold the certification but merely only have a certificate of attendance and do not actually hold the certification, I would not hire them either. That is a huge misrepresentation and I hope it is only a small minority that do that.

ABlackburn
Newcomer I

I agree that people claiming the Certification should be verified.  I do have my Acclaim digital badge;

https://www.youracclaim.com/badges/9ce81f3b-bbf8-4b17-95ce-45004d5839b6/public_url

And that doesn't have my Cert. number on it, so that is a solution.

If I apply for a job, and they contact me for validation, I can supply it, either my Certifcate number or my Acclaim badge.

If we all did this the value of the Certification would be upheld and strengthened. 

Gunner
Newcomer III

Totally agree!  We need to protect what we've earned.

Best regards,
Rick