Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jibran
Viewer II

Brand New to Cyber Security should I take SSCP or CISSP?

Hello everyone, So I came here for some advice. I recently just graduated from a cyber security bootcamp and now have been thrown into the wild. I earned some cloud certifications and AWS Cloud Practitioner and MicroSoft Azure Fundamentals. Now it is time for a real core certification. I am looking to go more into the risk management side I do like and know my technical side of Information Security but the Risk aspect is what I am looking to get into. So I have 0 work experience so I cant even get my SSCP. I dont know if my education covers it I did one year at college for Computer Science, and 450 hours (3 Months) in the bootcamp. If someone can help me find out if that covers it i'll go get the SSCP right now. I am thinking about just getting my CISSP and that will open the doors I need to get a job. 

Please let me know your thoughts thank you so much!

4 Replies
sergeling
Contributor I

You can review the work experience requirement from below link
https://www.isc2.org/Certifications/SSCP/Prerequisite-Pathway

As it states, in order to meet the One Year Prerequisite Pathway it needs to be " a degree from an accredited college or university or regionally equivalent education program. " So your education background does not fulfill that.

If you don't meet the work experience requirement, you won't have SSCP or CISSP, just Associate of (ISC)2 status. So you won't be able to "get CISSP and open the doors needed to get a job". Because you won't be able to get CISSP.

I'd say either you complete the One Year Prerequisite Pathway, or find a job to fulfill One Year Work Experience requirement.
Steve-Wilme
Advocate II

It sounds to me as if your most immediate priority is to get some relevant work experience.  Your aim may need you to take some sideways steps.  I'll explain:

1. Formal InfoSec qualifications act as an entry barrier to the field, with many job add asking for several even for the most junior positions

2. The formal qualifications have a work experience requirement (see 1)

So it seems chicken and egg.  So what you could examine if joining an organisation in a related IT role, gaining some relevant work experience and looking for internal vacancies isn't a worthwhile option.  

-----------------------------------------------------------
Steve Wilme CISSP-ISSAP, ISSMP MCIIS
Jibran
Viewer II

Thank you for your advice! Should I still go after my sscp at least? I will have 2 years to get the one year done!
denbesten
Community Champion

@Jibran wrote:
Thank you for your advice! Should I still go after my sscp at least? I will have 2 years to get the one year done!

@Steve-Wilme already answered that.... "It sounds to me as if your most immediate priority is to get some relevant work experience". 

There is no prohibition against continuing your education after you have the job, and it comes with a few benefits, such as (1) income to pay for the exam -- and the possibility of getting somebody else to pay, (2) OTJ knowledge that will make passing easier, (3) reduced risk of running out the certification clock.