Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kesposito
ISC2 Former Staff

As a cybersecurity pro, would you hire…

Associates of (ISC)² are people currently pursuing an (ISC)² certification. They have passed their certification exam (CISSP, SSCP or another) but are still gathering their required work experience to complete their certification. It’s like an apprentice program. Would you consider hiring an Associate of (ISC)² to work on your team? Why or why not? 

13 Replies
mwapemble
Newcomer II

I'd agree with "badfilemagic" here. I've hired people with CISSP and without. I can't see why the same wouldn't apply to Associates. 

For some positions it might be completely acceptable - if the underlying qualification was indicative for the role but no qualification is going to replace skills and experience. And "experience acceptable for full rather than associate membership" isn't necessarily the same as "experience relevant to the role".

Phil_O
Viewer II

Very much so. They have shown both an aptitude and dedication to pass what is a complex and wide ranging exam. Shows commitment and a desire to have a full career within Information Security.

CISOScott
Community Champion

If you are asking would I hold it against them that they are not a full fledged CISSP? Probably not, if they showed the desire to learn.

When looking to hire people I look for passion and desire. If I had 2 candidates, one fresh out of college with a B.S. degree in cybersecurity, and no certs versus another person in the workforce with an Associate of CISSP, and the one in the workforce had more passion about their craft then I would hire them over the degreed student.

I look for people who are interested in the field, not just doing enough to get by. 

John
Newcomer III

It depends.  For a senior position, probably not.  I want talented people on my team, but I also want experience.  For a junior position, absolutely.  I hire more on talent, culture fit, and passion, but degrees and certifications count, too.

---
You only say it's impossible because nobody's done it and lived.