cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
esardinha08
Newcomer I

getting into security

Hi all!

This is my first post as I am really interested in the certifications ISC squared has to offer.  I am currently a network manager with some security experience by default and probably the next step in my career is IT manager.  The question is should I start with the SSCP or go for the CCSP and then onto the CISSP? Is there a normal path to the CISSP?

Thanks,

7 Replies
abhijit_naik
Viewer III

Your path would be SSCP and then CISSP.   

CCSP is preferred after completing CISSP.

Hope this helps 

~Abhijit Naik

esardinha08
Newcomer I

Yes it does help, thanks for the response.  I did hear that the SSCP is being updated for later this year, are there new books coming out?

Thanks,

egypt9
Newcomer I

With your background you can go straight for the CISSP. Check out this website for free training resources: https://cpetea.com.

CISOScott
Community Champion

My path was Network+, Security+ then CISSP. Then CEH, CHFI, ITIL, etc.

Knocking out Net+ and Sec+ gave me the confidence to know that I knew enough of those "domains" to pass those certifications. I took a year to do all 3, with very hard and focused studying.

esardinha08
Newcomer I

All really good information, I appreciate the responses.  Does anyone know about the new SSCP exam and when the books are coming out?

askripnikov
Newcomer II

The only oficially available information as of now regarding exam is:

https://www.isc2.org/-/media/ISC2/Certifications/Exam-Outlines/SSCP-Exam-Outline-Nov-1-2018.ashx?la=...

My guess is like with the new CISSP - 1st would come Official Study Guide from Sybex somewhere in November and then other books/tests/etc.

RipVanWinkle
Newcomer I

I went straight for the CISSP. There's no prerequisite certifications, nor a set "path", for the CISSP. So if your goal is the CISSP, I would recommend going straight for it. I would also recommend a lot of studying and a training course/bootcamp.