cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
earlbl
Newcomer II

Posting certificates on social online with ID number

Hi,

I noticed some folks post their certificates online in LinkedIn or other sites with ID number but some blur or cover it.

I understand its for verification by checking at (ISC)² Member Certification Verification (isc2.org)

It seems safe and we know as humans, we are proud to share our accomplishment and might attract employers. There are also sites that you can search their full name and will verify or display their registration number including dates publicly.

It may seem not about privacy but for safety like social engineering.

My question, is it ok to post your certificate with ID number or still need to cover it?

Thanks!

3 Replies
ericgeater
Community Champion

Greetings.  This could instantly be a thread about not over-sharing information, so let's get that out of the way.  I agree with you, don't share things unnecessarily.

That's one reason why I like Credly and using badges for confirmation of certification in online spaces.  If a confirmation must be more in-depth for a prospective employer or your HR department, give them the number and your surname directly.

It is best to not share the number, but I don't think it's completely deleterious in the same way as sharing a credit card number, because there's far fewer things a bad actor could do with it.

-----------
A claim is as good as its veracity.
earlbl
Newcomer II

Hello, really appreciate your response. I agree with you. I just wish that it's 100% safe and ok to share any certificate, no room for doubts, I think because of the human nature and the appeal of the certificate publicly. Honestly, Credly badge is great but would have a fancier look. And for the cert, also it increases the awareness of the public about the organization and coolness effect to it.

It feels like also different category from DOB, plate numbers, etc that are usually sensitive, and yes, credit number seems same category or slight.

Thank you so much!

*update - also not sure where to post this, career was seems to be closest I know. thanks again.

ericgeater
Community Champion

"I just wish that it's 100% safe"

Hope you smile when you read this, but because you're in this forum, you should already be aware of why god can't lift that too-big rock -- if you catch my drift.

Each resource you have requires a degree of protection.  There's only 366 available dates of birth, but there's only one which applies to you.  There's 999-99-9999 social security numbers available, but only one that belongs to you.  Your SSN in someone else's hands is more damaging than your birthdate in someone else's hands.

Protect your cert number somewhere on the spectrum between "birthdate" and "SSN".  It's probably going to be closer to "Netflix password" than it is to "banking password".

-----------
A claim is as good as its veracity.