Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wimremes
Contributor III

Open up PDI to the world until end of June (at least)!

It's clear that many people will be out of jobs when the economy attempts to go back to normal in a few weeks, or months. What we also know is that Information Security Professional will still be needed.

As a member, I want to call on our organization to open up the content that is available on the Professional Development Institute for anybody that creates a free account.

We've talked enough about how we can fill the professional pipeline. As a community, we should put our money where our mouth is. 

We're all in the same boat here.

Sic semper tyrannis.
6 Replies
JKWiniger
Community Champion

@wimremes This is another thing I do not agree with. While I do find there PDI training to be good there is enough free training out there so anyone who wants to spend their time training should have no problem finding any. We also must remember that the ISC2 seem to have their hands full keeping up with portal and other issues and it does not seemed justified to ask them to add more work on where it's not really needed.

Just my .02

John-

wimremes
Contributor III

@JKWiniger While this is a completely different discussion, we might have a perception issue. If the issues the organization is having "their hands full with", why is the latest hire a VP of Sales & Marketing and not a VP of Membership Management? Why is the focus apparently turning to full on "selling certifications" and not taking care of the membership that's already here? 

That said. The market is being flooded with people pushing low price, low quality content right now because people are willing to pay whatever is comfortable for re-education. Those people aren't searching for the free content, they're clicking the first link that offers an opportunity to a paycheck post-lockdown. My suggestion is that we should be that opportunity, for free. 

Sic semper tyrannis.
AppDefects
Community Champion

@wimremes wrote:

It's clear that many people will be out of jobs when the economy attempts to go back to normal in a few weeks, or months. What we also know is that Information Security Professional will still be needed.

As a member, I want to call on our organization to open up the content that is available on the Professional Development Institute for anybody that creates a free account.

We've talked enough about how we can fill the professional pipeline. As a community, we should put our money where our mouth is. 

Respectfully, I'd like to ask why with more than 150,000 members does (ISC)2 need to open up ALL PDI courses to the world? Our membership fees pay for the course development. Is ISACA and PMI opening up their training? If so, then follow suit.

wimremes
Contributor III

@AppDefects wrote:

@wimremes wrote:

Respectfully, I'd like to ask why with more than 150,000 members does (ISC)2 need to open up ALL PDI courses to the world? Our membership fees pay for the course development. Is ISACA and PMI opening up their training? If so, then follow suit.

Should we only act when others do? I don't think so. As for examples, CloudGuru greatly reduced prices for their content, KnowBe4 did open up some of their content for free (as was posted here). There are plenty of other examples out there. 

Our membership fees do not pay for the course development. Income from other sources covers that. 

My point is based on 2 primary observations:

(1) There is a severe shortage of individuals with cyber security knowledge.

(2) Many people will be without jobs when this situation clears up. Giving them a shot at a new career starts right now.

Sic semper tyrannis.
AndreaMoore
Community Manager

@wimremes 

Thank you for your suggestion. The entire (ISC)2 team is considering many avenues to help our members and associates, as well as current and future certification candidates impacted by COVID-19 and the economic fallout. Some current actions include:

• Working with Pearson VUE to ensure that candidates have the latest information they need about test center availability and rescheduling exams. The latest information regarding test centers can be found here: https://home.pearsonvue.com/coronavirus-update
  • Waving all rescheduling fees associated for any exam taker impacted in any way by COVID-19
  • Reassigning (ISC)2 Members Services Team Members to expedite endorsement processes. Contact Member and Candidate Services here: https://www.isc2.org/Contact-Us
  • Honoring all exam vouchers by extending or re-issuing vouchers for exam takers
  • Reminding members and candidates about our free webinar content on our BrightTALK channels. Learn more about our digital learning opportunities here: https://www.isc2.org/News-and-Events/Webinars
  • Looking to bring more content into our BrightTALK channels to help members and associates meet their CPE requirements
  • Evaluating discounted pricing on our online self-paced and online instructor-led courses

To your question about PDI content, those courses were developed with the primary purpose of addressing the continuing professional development needs of members and associates. We are evaluating options, of all kinds, to bring more content, to more people in more efficient ways at lower or no cost.

The items above are just the start. The entire team at (ISC)2 is working hard to first ensure we maintain our support for members during this challenging time as we evaluate all opportunities to ease the strain candidates are facing now and potentially after the health crisis abates.

ISC2 Community Manager
AndreaMoore
Community Manager

I wanted to highlight some of the important work The Center for Cyber Safety and Education and (ISC)² are doing during this time https://community.isc2.org/t5/Industry-News/The-Center-for-Cyber-Safety-amp-Education-Provides-Free-...

ISC2 Community Manager