Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CraginS
Defender I

Myths in Cybersecurity

I was recently a panel member on an ISSA Thought Leadership Webinar, The Persistent Pernicious Myths and Hidden Truths of Cybersecurity. Zane Lackey of Signal Sciences and Greg Young of Trend Micro each spoke about specific myths they have worked on. My contribution was thoughts on how myths happen and what we can do about them. My human factors approach to  cyber security led me to look at a bit of simple history of our field, from communications security through several steps to today's cyber security. With  quick review of the basics of a systems model that includes people, the processes they follow, and the tools they use, I made a few observations about human nature (e.g., unlearning is harder than learning & we're lazy), and traced the history of one particular myth that was once a truth in our field.

You can see the full 62 minute webinar on BrightTALK at
The Persistent Pernicious Myths and Hidden Truths of Cybersecurity
You will have to create a free BrightTALK account to see the webinar.

To download the slides, you will need to log into ISSA.org as a member and go to the On Demand Conferences for
November 2019 ISSA Web Conference

I encourage folks to watch the full webinar. It is worth an hour of continuing professional education (CPE) or continuing education units (CEU) for a variety of professional certifications.

(c) 2019 D. Cragin Shelton

(The above content is from my Randomness blog.)

Craig

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts
0 Replies