Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AbduBahira
Viewer

Many certs Little experience

I wanted to ask what my chances of getting a mid tier security job with the following experience:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/abderraouf-bahira-3485631b1/

The situation is that I have 4 years of experience in non security, IT related Jobs. I have 5 decent certifications including Sec+ Pentest+ and CISSP. I have not yet graduated college but am looking for a mid tier security job, whether that's red team or blue team.

Is it reasonable to chase after mid tier sec jobs with this portfolio?

1 Reply
nkeaton
Contributor I

I am not going to look at the profile, but my first question is how did you get a CISSP without the required experience?  Private industry followed DoD in this current valuing certifications situation.  Fortunately DoD has changed that stance, and hopefully private industry will follow again.  Currently certifications are only relevant if the person does not have experience and education.  Unfortunately because of the prior mess, Security+ is not a good differentiating factor for employment candidates as the job market has been flooded with them.  CompTIA embarrassingly bragged about over 700K+ Security+ holders the last time that I looked.  That is the competition.  Without at least 5 - 10 years of work experience, you will not find anything other than entry level, and there are way too many people competing for those.  The Pentest+ might help you get into a SOC or NOC, but it will be entry level.  Unfortunately the ads about so many jobs is not the complete truth.  Most of those jobs would require years of relevant experience.  So they are only telling half truths.  It bothers me every time that I hear one of those ads.