Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
slakhotia
Newcomer I

Job after CISSP

Friends,

Recently got my CISSP but when i look into the job market:

1. first of all I am clueless where to use this degree 

2. Many places ask prior experience in  specific security areas- like IDS, IPS etc

3. Many places want US citizen only to apply for some positions.

I have 19+ years of hands-on and networking background . I have 4 years of running federal certifications -FIPS,CC,USGv6,JITC for my company but nothing is working. I clearly have 5+ years of experience required in 2 of the domains mentioned.

What is going wrong here? Very minimal % of people are aware of CISSP but if they are aware they know its one of the toughtest but how to convert it into a job position. some asks for prior experience with COBIT, ITIL etc, some wants audit experience

13 Replies
Shannon
Community Champion

As almost everyone else here has pointed out, the CISSP isn't a silver bullet, but it can give you an edge over others so long as you've meet primary eligibility criteria --- including experience, skills, visa / citizenship etc.

The impression you've made on previous employers / colleagues / 3rd parties plays a major role, as does networking. (I'm not talking about Facebook, but LinkedIn, congresses, exhibitions, conferences, etc.)

Whenever I've been in posts wherein I wasn't acquainted with anyone, a little digging around almost always revealed that there was someone on the other side of the line with whom I'd interacted before --- often in or through some previous organization I was with.

All the best in getting hold of something --- even if it isn't exactly what you'd expected, never let that stop you from making the best of it.

Shannon D'Cruz,
CISM, CISSP

www.linkedin.com/in/shannondcruz
dcontesti
Community Champion

@rslade wrote:

One interesting observation: it got to the point where I much preferred to call in female candidates. No, no casting couch objectives here: I found that women were *much* more honest in their ressumes than men were. Guys often "padded" their experience: women almost never did. If a woman's resume said she had the experience, she did.

I did a presentation on Women in Security in 2013 and in doing my research on the topic, I found it interesting that women will only apply for jobs that they are 95-100% qualified for while men are more comfortable applying for jobs that they may only be 65% qualified for.  This fact was bared out by participants who were hiring managers and related that they found this to be more fact than fiction.

As an FYI, studies I used in preparing for the talk were the (ISC)2 Workforce study and then various studies I found from numerous HR resources.

d

slakhotia
Newcomer I

Hi Shannol,Appdefect,Scott et al, LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/slakhotia/ I appreciate you all taking time to respond and many of them in so detail. However let me list out my side (may be representing many like me) of story: 1. 19+ years of Networking experience, 10 years in US. last 6 years in management 2. Security- Managed and executed FIS140-2, CC,USGv6 and JITC for 4 years at brocade communications at networking company. So pretty much know in n out of this process. Attained CISSP cert Feb-2019. What i fail to see is: where to apply. As somebody pointed out , i don't have IPS/IDS experience but then CISSP had listed 8 domains and i do have 4-5+ years of working experience in that. No lies here.... I have been applying as Security analyst, Security tester(mismatch),Information security position but don't get response as either i have not worked in IT-BCP/DRP or Security-IPS/IDS . So looks i have walk backwards and do hands on IDS/IPS etc by switching to that area and then think of using my CISSP. I have been applying to Dallas and Bay-area for last 3 weeks. Some inmail i got was all for very remote areas. For clarity sake below is my resume:
Steve-Wilme
Advocate II

A CISSP is no guarantee of a job offer.  Depending on what you're looking for you may want to consider how your existing experience fits with your CISSP and also do some networking within your local area to find out how to gain entry to suitable positions.

So try the following:

- Attend free trade shows

- Join ISSA

- Attend ISC2 chapters

- Attend ISACA chapters

- Look of volunteering opportunities

You could also consider joining an organisation in an IT role and applying as an internal candidate when a security position comes up.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Steve Wilme CISSP-ISSAP, ISSMP MCIIS