Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AndreaMoore
Community Manager

Give Advice to Your Former Self

If you could go back in time and give yourself career advice, what would it be? While we can't change the past, we can learn from it and each other. 

This discussion might be helpful for those just starting out in Cybersecurity. 

ISC2 Community Manager
3 Replies
dcontesti
Community Champion

WOW, loaded question.

I started my career in IT too many years ago but when I did, I started in the Engineering development department of a large manufacturer.  I was one of three women in the department (the other two were admin staff).

So my advice, find a mentor to help guide you through the department and also through the company's business (you may need more that one mentor).  I started as a Computer Operator (running backups, printouts, etc.) so it was deemed, I didn't really need to understand the business.  Finding that mentor helped me.  

Find a Champion, someone who will look at you and the work you do and boast about your talents.

Never say I CAN't, also say I can and try.

d

TrickyDicky
Contributor II

Have no regrets. You make the best decisions based on the facts you have to hand. 

Enjoy the ride

csjohnng
Community Champion

It's interesting topic.

In my teenager time, I want to be a photographer and after knowing more about the industry and career I give up.

Then I want be an architect (building) but unfortunately my dream did not come true and I study computer engineering instead.

My first job in a startup and it was then position as security service company after I have left the company, my first boss is one of the few CISSPs in my "place" 20 years ago. I remember I want to be a "hacker" - 20 years ago hacker is a nice word, I have a lot of fun with nmap, CA, Open LDAP/SSH before I left the startup. As I moved between companies, this "hobby" is forgotten and I turn on my architecture path. And one day I was the head of architecture, architecting on "system" not on building and my dream is half-fulfilled. And then I find out I can contribute myself more in security areas and transformed myself to security architect and CISO now. 

It's what it's and you can only base on the information you have to make your best decision at the time.

I can only say to my former self, follow you dream, find a mentor if possible (don't be shy and don't afraid to ask question or ask for help), work (very) hard,  be prepare yourself, be patient and the most important Be happy.

John