Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Abhi
Viewer II

Career Transition

Hello !i have been working as a Network Administrator for the last 6+ years. Moving forward i want to transition my career into CISSP Expert. Can i pursue a CISSP Certification and will i be considered as a fresher while applying for the job or will recruiters consider my experience ? Please clarify…

2 Replies
Early_Adopter
Community Champion

I think you can certify as CISSP if you pass the exam and meet the experience requirements.

“CISSP Expert” I’m unsure about, no one that has CISSP I think really thinks of it as deep expertise, rather it’s broad - a CISSP certified individual is great to have on the cybersecurity pub quiz…

In India “fresher” I believe is used for new grads, and well it means something different everywhere else - I think you’ll need to use your judgement. Having a CISSP is useful, however it won’t change a great deal on its own - you’ll probably be best of getting a good mentor in industry who can help you decide on what level is appropriate to market yourself at.

Here’s the info on CISSP experience:

https://www.isc2.org/certifications/cissp/cissp-experience-requirements

Steve-Wilme
Advocate II

Whilst network experience may be useful for some roles in cyber, it would be relatively narrow.  The CISSP wouldn't in itself broaden the opportunities out a great deal, as employers would probably be looking for hands on experience.  It may be a better tactic to try to get into cyber directly from networking and do the CISSP later on.  There are other qualifications to the CISSP that may make the transition more straightforward as well.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Steve Wilme CISSP-ISSAP, ISSMP MCIIS