Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lamont29
Community Champion

A Job Worth Having...

I am often shocked when I come across companies whose most valuable assets are the collective intelligence of their employees; yet, many companies that rely on information security professionals do not offer tuition reimbursement. You know, that’s a head-scratcher to me. I was attending a conference recently where one of the speakers made an eloquent point pertaining to this divergence; and credit goes to the person who explained the concept to him:

Prevailing Opinion: “What if we train them, they get certified and they leave?”

Opposing View Point: “Well, what if we don’t train them, and they stay?”

What side of that coin are YOU on when it comes to those points of views?

Lamont Robertson
M.S., M.A., CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, CDPSE, MCSE
10 Replies
JoePete
Advocate I

@Lamont29 wrote:

I am often shocked when I come across companies whose most valuable assets are the collective intelligence of their employees; yet, many companies that rely on information security professionals do not offer tuition reimbursement.

Ah, but the underlying premise is that companies know the training these professionals need. I think that is the larger issue. While it is not as bad as it used to be, I still see plenty of IT jobs advertising a preference for computer science degrees, for example. That is the problem: companies don't what they don't know and it makes it impossible for them to know what their staff and management needs to know.