Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
signal9
Newcomer I

Virtual DEF CON 28 and CPEs

Hi. I'm a relatively new CISSP, and this is my first year to gather CPEs from conferences, and what a year to start!

I have been an enthusiastic participant in this year's virtual DEF CON 28 Safe Mode. I have been attending talks, participating in casual CTFs and contests, Tech Trivia and networking - just like I would were I there in person, minus (as much) of the sleep deprivation and alcohol!.

What I'd like to know is the most effective way to capture CPEs for the event under these circumstances. I've heard in the past that a conference itself might be worth a certain number of CPEs. I could also, though this might be difficult, do careful accounting of every talk I attended, event in which I participated, etc, but I feel like a conference is more than that, even virtually.

How would the community suggest handling this situation that is fair to both me and to the institution?

6 Replies
denbesten
Community Champion

When you attend a conference that autosubmits, you will find that they total the hours for the talks you badged into and use that as the number of CPEs.  I suggest doing the same.  OK, careful accounting on paper is sufficient --- no need to set up NFC.  The point being that careful records are always good.

rholcombe
Newcomer I

I "attended" DEFCON safe mode as well, it was fun but VERY different. I typically attend a number of conferences each year and I completely understand your comment on that the conference experience has CPE value as well. However, I only submit CPEs for the sessions I attended. If I am presenting I will submit CPEs for my initial preparation of the presentation but I do not submit CPEs for when I present.

signal9
Newcomer I

Of course, you're right, and I have notes for the talks I've seen, and being as DEF CON was streamed and is available both on YouTube and as a torrent which I downloaded on the first day, I'll be adding more as I watch more.

signal9
Newcomer I

Thanks. Being conference season, there have been a lot of opportunities to log hours. It's funny that all of them are online this year, and that feels a bit odd as I turn them in. Of course we all look forward to doing literally anything in person again, and all of the good things that come from water-cooler talk.

RichGautier
Newcomer I

I submitted DEF CON 29 this year as 24 hours - even though I've probably spent a lot more hours at the keyboard and on various learning activities than 8/day (started at 7AM EST and ended probably 7PM each day) Last year I tried logging each YouTube talk, etc, but have realized that I'm spending a lot more time learning than JUST watching vids. Collaborating with others on Discord, learning new software products, etc, take up a lot more time.

This year, submitting it as 24 hours for 3 days, I hit an Audit. I submitted DEFCON Discord screenshot, histories from two browsers, and notes/schedules from OneNote - we'll see how it goes. If it's accepted, fine, if not - I guess I'll be submitting individual videos and Twitch logs.
RichGautier
Newcomer I

Just adding that the audit went through without a hitch.  I submitted Chome and Firefox histories for the talks I attended, notes from my scheduled activities over the three days (from OneNote where I take notes) and screenshot from the Discord channel(s).

It was easier accounting for me than what I did last year.  Not too worried about the numbers (I've gotten to my 120 a year early), but I wanted to share my experience.