cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kevinkidder
Newcomer III

Question about CPE's

Hi all,

I have a question regarding CPE credits for multiple certifications.  Soon I will have my SSCP, and will have a requirement to reach 20 CPEs per year. If I then get my CISSP, I will have to post 40 CPEs in the first year, and 120 within 3 years.  Assuming for the sake of argument that I break up the CISSP requirement evenly (40 per year), and have the SSCP, will I need to post 60 CPEs per year? Or do they overlap, meaning the 40 from the CISSP requirement cover the 20 needed for the SSCP?

Thanks in advance. 

Kevin

10 Replies
denbesten
Community Champion

See page 5 of the official policies and guidelines.  They automatically apply to all ISC2 credentials. 

Less paperwork is one of the advantages of two credentials from one authority (ie CCSP and CISSP), rather than using different authorities (ie CISM and CISSP).

kevinkidder
Newcomer III

Thanks! A very useful document. I will be sure to keep it handy.

Kevin

amandavanceISC2

@kevinkidder Great question! When a member has multiple certifications with (ISC)², each certification does have it's own separate CPE and AMF requirements and cycle dates that must be met. However, if the member completes activities that relate to the domains of both of their certifications, the CPEs can be applied to both CPE requirements by entering the CPE as "Multiple Domains - Group A". Based on your example, if you hold the CISSP and the SSCP, you will have 40 CPEs due for the CISSP each year and 20 for the SSCP. As long as at least 20 of the CISSP CPEs relate to domains for both certifications, you won't have to do any extra work to obtain more CPEs.

Best Regards,

Amanda Vance

ramkrivi
Viewer

Dear's

I possess CISM as well and if I earn CPE's attending ISACA Sponsored webinar's, can I add those CPE's for my CISSP as well ?

Just a doubt, please clarify.

Thorsten
Newcomer I

Why should they not count? But based on my understanding of the CPE policies there is a little distinction between ISACA and (ISC)²: ISACA grants 1 CPE for a 50 minutes session, and (ISC)² grants 1 CPE for a 60 minutes session. So the participation of an ISACA virtual conference with 4 sessions each last 60 minutes gives you 5 ISACA CPEs but only 4 (ISC)² CPEs.

Regarding to the (ISC)² CPE policy there is one aspect not answered: Can I earn proportionate CPEs, e.g. half or quarter CPEs? Exampe: A few days ago I participated in an (archived) ISACA Virtual Summit giving 4 ISACA CPEs. The event lasted 215 minutes (3.6 hours). Can I claim 3.6 (ISC)² CPEs from that event? Or have I round it down to the next quarter / half / full CPE point?

Thorsten
Newcomer I

OK, I found the answers now after having access to the CPE tool / portal and the CPE handbook:

• Quarter increments in CPEs are possible.
  • You can earn CPEs for non-(ISC)² activities under the Education section, such as education courses / seminars, industry conferences and online webinars, Podcasts and other online material, as long as the activities relate to the credential domain(s).

Smiley Happy

amandavanceISC2

@ramkrivi Yes, you may submit CPEs for attending ISACA webinars as well. As long as the training/self-study you are completing is either domain related or professional development and coming from a legitimate source, you may submit CPEs for it.

Best Regards, 

Amanda Vance

amandavanceISC2

@Thorsten Yes, you may claim CPEs by the minute. We ask that you round to the nearest quarter hour, so a webinar that is 2 hours and 45 minutes can be submitted for 2.75 CPEs.

Best Regards,

Amanda Vance

Steve-Wilme
Advocate II

They count towards all relevant isc2 certs, depending on the cbk. Some most of my cissp cpes count towards the issap and issmp.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Steve Wilme CISSP-ISSAP, ISSMP MCIIS