Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CraginS
Defender I

Physical Security CPE - Group A - USA Focus

This note is specifically for CISSPs in the USA, but may help members in other nations, too.

Back in the 10 Domain days, Physical Security was one of the CISSP Domains. Today, with the 8 Domain CBK, physical security is subsumed into Domains 1, 2, and 3: Security & Risk Management, Asset Security, and Security Architecture & Engineering, respectively. Therefore, any training and education activity for physical security can be logged as Group A CPE.

The USA is going through a social upheaval now, and one of the results has been a massive increase in firearms purchases by people who have never previously had or used a firearm. Many in this new-owner category previously thought they would never touch a gun. I am writing this to make two points:

1. Training in firearms safety or proficiency is legitimately Group A CPE in physical security in one or more of the three domains above.

2. All firearms owners should go beyond possession and take basic training in both firearms safety (to include both handling and storage), and in firearms proficiency.

I strongly encourage community members, who own a firearm, and especially new first time purchasers, to seek out and complete at a minimum a basic safety course that covers handling and storage, and preferably add proficiency training to your efforts.  Then claim your CPE accordingly.

Please, do not reply to this post with arguments for or against gun ownership. That is a broad and controversial political argument best left to other fora. Specifically in the USA, personal ownership of firearms is settled law, both Constitutionally and in case law before the Supreme Court. Further, every nation in the world recognizes that law enforcement and authorized security forces must have access to firearms. They are a reality in our lives, like it or not.

As for side discussions on philosophy, legality, specific training, and practice in this arena, I am happy to engage with members directly by e-mail, away from the Community.

Craig

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts
3 Replies
dhouser
Newcomer III

I've been claiming training in unarmed combat, pistol, integrated concealed carry self-defense and knife fighting for several years as CPEs, clearly in the physical security domain, as is lock picking.

Dan Houser, CISSP-ISSAP etc

NRA Instructor & RSO

-ddh__________
Dan Houser, CISSP-ISSAP-ISSMP CSSLP CCSP
sergeling
Contributor I

Does this also extend to Active Shooter Readiness and Response Training?

CraginS
Defender I

@sergeling wrote:

Does this also extend to Active Shooter Readiness and Response Training?

Frank,

That really is up to you. If you consider Active Shooter training as related to providing physical security to an organization, especially the information used and stored in that organization, then you should claim it. There are a lot of training activities that are a judgement call; use your good judgement as a professional concerning what to use for CPE.

Craig

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts