Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AndreaMoore
Community Manager

Need CPE Credits? Top Cybersecurity Industry Podcasts

Looking for a new way to earn CPE credits? We've put together a list of some Top Cybersecurity Podcasts over on our blog. Earn some CPE credits while you commute, tackle household chores, sit in the school carline or while you exercise!

https://blog.isc2.org/isc2_blog/2021/08/top-cybersecurity-podcasts.html 

ISC2 Community Manager
12 Replies
vmanning
Reader I

Must the CPEs for a podcast be uploaded on a per-episode basis, or can I group them together in some way? For example, this week I listened to:

• SANS Internet Stormcenter, 7 episodes for .5 CPE hours (3:04-7:19 ep duration)
  • Risky Business, 2 episodes for 1 CPE hour (26-39 min eps)
  • RB News, 6 episodes for 1 CPE hour (5-17 min eps)
  • Security Now, 1 episode for 1 CPE hour (67 min ep)
  • Control Loop, 1 episode for .25 CPE hours (20 min ep)
  • Caveat, 2 episodes for .75 CPE hours (23 min eps)

That's 4.25 CPE hours across 19 episodes and it would be great to capture them all, but SANS and RB News are just too cumbersome. Is there a way to capture these CPEs without making 19 uploads? Can podcasts with <15 minute episodes even contribute to CPEs?

denbesten
Community Champion

@vmanning wrote:

Must the CPEs for a podcast be uploaded on a per-episode basis, or can I group them together in some way?

I do not have an "official answer", but in my mind it comes down to how you would defend against an audit and ensuring the attached evidence aligns with the rest of the record.

I attended a conference that auto-submitted, which resulted in one entry for the entire conference, as opposed to one per session, so there is precedence for batching related items together.  In that case, I would look for a viewing history or similar to document the time spent.

Can podcasts with <15 minute episodes even contribute to CPEs?

ISC does state in their webinars that you must watch 46 minutes for them to auto-credit you for 1 hour, so there is precedent for "rounding up". Using that logic, I suppose one could submit 15 minutes for a 1 minute podcast, but I personally feel it more defensible to round to the nearest 15 minutes and bunching a few together if needed.

The other thing to realize if that one only needs about 3/4 a CPE per week (40/year), so if the list is your normal cadence you can afford to ignore those that are too much work to document.

mariatirado
Community Manager

@vmanning -  We would recommend uploading each podcast separately. By episode is ideal, so that you can provide a summary of the episode and what you learned from it. But, if there are several episodes in a series from one show, you can upload those all together as a single "activity." Each hour = 1 CPE credit, and .25 CPE credits (aka 15 minutes) is the shortest amount of time you can submit for credit. Thanks!