Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Newcomer I

Claim CPE for studying for other certifications

Hello Community

I know this question has been asked however I can't find an exact answer for my query

I am currently studying for the CCSP, and have devoted well more than 50 hours cross various training materials. I have not however yet taken the exam, and plan to do so early next year.

In the meantime, I understand that I can claim credits for self study, however I'm not sure about how many I can claim? Most posts suggest a maximum of 30 hours can be claimed, however I did see one post which say 40 CPEs can be claimed as well.

Is there an upper limit on the amount of CPEs that can be claimed for self study in pursuit of another certification?

Thanks

Kunal

5 Replies
Newcomer I

Re: Claim CPE for studying for other certifications

Oh, one more thing - do I have to pass the intended exam in order to be able to claim credits?

Community Manager

The official handbook, which should answer your CPE credit related questions, can be viewed here: https://www.isc2.org/-/media/ISC2/Certifications/CPE/CPE---Handbook.ashx

If you have further specific questions, you can reach out to the member support team at https://www.isc2.org/Contact-Us 

(ISC)² Community Manager
Newcomer III

Seeing how often this question comes up, it may be helpful to add a couple of sentences to the handbook, beyond the brief reference in the introduction.
Newcomer I

Thanks all, in the handbook I found the following on Page 9

Self-study related to research for a project or preparing for a certification examination

On Page 14, I found the following

Maximum number of CPE per entry should not exceed 40

A combination of these suggests that credits can be claimed for studying for a certification (no requirement to pass the exam), however only a maximum of 40 credits can be claimed

If I have spend 50 hours then studying for my certification, can I claim it in 2 separate entries? (e.g. 40 CPE for entry 1 and 10 CPE for entry 2)?

Newcomer III

You should be able to enter some of the materials individually, e.g. 5 CPE per book.