Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shreenathg
Viewer II

Can I get CPE Credits for completing an MBA?

I have completed a Higher education Course (GROUP A Requirement) ie a 2year Executive Master of Business Administration at a Premier Institute in my country. The program had 750 contact hours of classes and numerous hours of assignments and discussions. I have 2 questions:

1. Can I use my MBA degree certificate as proof of completing CPEs ?

2. Can I use my MBA year1 and MBA year2 for the 2 year period starting from Jan 2021- Dec 2021 and Jan 2022 - Dec 2022 ?

PS: My CISSP CPE Period for 3 years is from Jan 2021-Dec 2023. I am yet to claim any CPE thus far.

Kindly let me know your thoughts.

2 Replies
Early_Adopter
Community Champion

Type B, non-security education course participation. See the rectifying handbook.

If you haven’t submitted any CPEs for the last three years and it ends in December, well there is a grace period… but unless you’ve been going to conferences and doing courses etc - you might not make it and just end up sitting the exam again. I did this, rectifying after I let it lapse(it’s better to submit CPEs as you go).

https://www.isc2.org/-/media/Project/ISC2/Main/Media/documents/sponsorship/CPE-Handbook.pdf

denbesten
Community Champion

Yes, but as @Early_Adopter  mentioned, a MBA is Group B.  And, you are limited to 30 Group-B CPEs, leaving 90 CPE/hours to complete in 35 days.

At this point, you can make it by deadline by watching 3 hours of Bright Talk videos per day, or if you wish to request an extension (see page 11), 1 hour per day.  Do keep copies of the viewing certificate because they will be helpful as you enter your CPEs into the database and will provide useful support if/when a few CPEs are audited.  

You can do this; it just is not going to be very fun.  Once caught up, you might schedule watching one CPE-worthy session each Friday to avoid getting into this situation again.  

In addition to familiarizing yourself with the CPE handbook, be advised you must also record your CPEs on https://cpe.isc2.org.  Strangely, this detail is not included in the handbook.