cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MEB
Newcomer I

CPE for non ISC2 Certificates

Hi ,

As I didn't know earlier about the fact that other/non ISC2  certifications could  add CPE's ;except half way through my CISSP cycle ;I wanted a quick assistance regarding how to   evaluate & submit CPEs from other certifications 

I had the below certifications during the last year :

1)Aruba (HPE) ClearPass  associate (ACCA)  ( A network Policy enforcement & authentication related Certificate) 

2)Aruba (HPE) ClearPass  Professional  (ACCP) ( A network Policy enforcement & authentication related Certificate) 

3)Open Group's TOGAF foundation (Enterprise Architecture and IT Governance Related )

I know there is like  a Generic Guideline document  for earning/submitting  CPE's and in many areas its clear for me 
However ,I am still very confused regarding :
1)If the above certifications eligible for contribution  to earning CPEs 

2)And if f they do how to evaluate the associated  # CPE's acquired(i.e is it 10 ,20 or 30 ,etc...) ;and if TOGAF is considered A or B
3)What proof to provide (other than the  Passing Certification document of course);given the fact that I acquired them before knowing the above fact ,and hence didn't take any associated evidences back then except for hand written notes .and of course i have the course materials on Kindle 

Your understanding and support are highly appreciated 

Bregards
MEB 

4 Replies
denbesten
Community Champion

You can not earn CPEs for merely possessing anything (e.g. a certificate, a degree, a title, or a frequent shopper card for that matter).  Nor do you earn them for using knowledge you already have (e,g.  taking a test, teaching a class or doing your job).  The only way to earn CPEs is by furthering your knowledge (that is, learning something).  There are many ways of doing this, such as reading, webinars, taking classes, and attending conferences. The catch is the learning must be in areas related to the certificate for which you claim them. 

That said, CPE opportunities can come in unexpected places.  For example, teaching a class earns zero CPEs, but researching a question asked by a student might be worth one.  Taking an exam earns zero CPEs, but the studying you did in preparation might be worth some.  Possessing a different certificate earns Zero CPEs, but if you earned a CPE for it, you might also be able to claim that CPE on your CISSP too.

Realizing that CPE stands for Continuing Professional Education and that education is a synonym for learning is the key to understanding what does and does not count.

- "Contributions to the profession" is an exception.   (ISC)² does recognize that some activities geared towards improving the knowledge of others are CPE worthy, even if they do not demonstrably increase your own individual knowledge.  Details in the CPE handbook

MEB
Newcomer I

Thanks for your reply ...However I didn't mention that I want to earn CPE's merely /directly because of the associated Certificates score sheet  or badge or associated Certification document

I  mentioned  the above certifications ;first to know if their subjects are applicable for CPE's and as an indication that these are the  evidences currently @ hands for my self study towards achieving them ,as by the time I was working on them I didn't collect any snap shots or evidences for the  self study itself .

So let me re-phrase the question ; I spent only  few days for those certificates  through  instructor Led courses ,yet spent much more days ,weeks and months  of study ,research  discussions and lab work (for HPE ones)  to learn the real life aspects  of such areas and additionally  achieve the associated certification    ,however as we speak/in the time being and as I didn't know that CPEs could be collected only based on self study evidences and that what I had now is merely the Certificates of course attendance+ Certificates of passing the associated exams + Self Study materials ,my Questions is :what    could I  currently do to acquire CPE's for the associated (Self Study +research + discussions )?

I hope the entire picture is clear now

Steve-Wilme
Advocate II

My advice is that you document what you learnt and how it helped you develop your knowledge.  I've used hand written notes as evidence of study previously and this was accepted.  If you don't think TOGAF is directly related to the CISSP as group A you could consider claiming your study as Group B.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Steve Wilme CISSP-ISSAP, ISSMP MCIIS
MEB
Newcomer I

Thanks so much Steve for your positive and fruitful Feedback 

I personally think TOGAF is a main Governance domain related Study 

-I will include Hand written notes +Course attendance certificate +materials Snapshots + The exam Certification. Would that be enough ?

-Furthermore; given the fact that I spent around 40-60 hrs of studying/Researching each ;how can I Know :
A)The maximum eligible CPEs?
B)Associated CPEs to claim ?

Your further support would be highly appreciated 

Bregards
Melbehery