Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AndreaMoore
Community Manager

We need your input! Quick 2 min survey on naming conventions.

We need your input into what terminology you use when considering activities to help you prepare for an ISC2 certification. The survey (https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/CertificationExamSurveyis just a couple questions and should take less than two minutes. We want to make sure we are communicating clearly with our customers. Thank you in advance for your responses. 

ISC2 Community Manager
2 Replies
denbesten
Community Champion

The single best advice for clear communications is to use "Webster definitions" instead of inventing our own unique vocabulary.  

Highest on this list for me is the word "Member".  In (ISC)²'s dictionary, it means somebody who has achieved a certification, but formally, it means "belongs to a group".

Personally, I would redefine "member" to be as inclusive as possible (e.g., "has an account on the (ISC)² web site") and add an adjective when referring to a more specific group, like this:

Candidate      => Non-certified Member

Associate       => Apprentice Member

Member         => Certified Member

Member in good standing => Certified Member

Emeritus        => Emeritus Member

Community Member => Community Member

All/Any of the above => (ISC)² Member

I would also retire the word "associate" in favor of "apprentice" because the latter indicates a transient state, pending on-the-job-training.

Regarding the three words in the survey, I would focus on their actual definitions:

education  - the process of receiving or giving systematic instruction, especially at a school or university.

trainingthe action of teaching a person or animal a particular skill or type of behavior.
learning - the acquisition of knowledge or skills through experience, study, or by being taught.

So, which one you use is based on who you are -- the teacher "trains/teaches", the student "learns", and the overall process is "education".

Also, it would have been helpful for the survey to end with a free-form "comments" section.
AndreaMoore
Community Manager

Thank you. I'll pass this feedback along! 

ISC2 Community Manager