Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Imran_sdq
Newcomer II

Passed CISSP April 30th - New Exam with Old Material

Finally took the exam and passed it on April 30th, last day of the CISSP Voucher w Retake Exam Voucher - March Promotion.

I prepared for the old Exam, but glad I took the new exam which had 125 - 150Q in 3 Hrs. Old exam 125 - 175 Q in 4hrs would had been harder, sitting for 3.5 to 4 hrs. straight. Folks who did 6 hr test must be super giants.

I took more time for the first 5 questions and made sure to answer them correctly. Then questions started getting progressively harder and would go a notch easier if answering wrong and then harder, exactly as described for the adaptive at ISC2. I was at 118th or so Q, and 18 min left, exam ended and thank goodness, result was provisionally passed.

Questions covers all domains, clue is to think and prepare logically, understand concepts and learn the field.

I am ancient like Pyramid of Giza and memory brittle like neolithic artifacts, so I took my sweet time, I prepared than start all over.

Material: 

1. Sybex OSG and Official Practice Test.

I found the book quiet disconcerting as I am the type who wants to relate things, but the book does not follow the ISC2 domains in order, So I bought (2.) Syngress CISSP Study Guide 4th Ed. It is short and follows CISSP 8 domains, but OSG has more material, and accuracy at the cost of disorganized chapter layout.

3. 11th Hr Eric Conrad. Manuscript is old, but a worthwhile read.

4. Official CISSP CBK Reference. I just used it sparingly, probably no need to spend money, but do buy if you are a bookaholic like me and want to display your dusty book collection.

Methodology:

CISSP has lots of material and a big and critical field so one should aim to learn it not just to pass the exam.

If one has a solid background in Networking, System Administration, IT Support, can pass it.

My suggestions, after going through material 2-3 times, go to the material and your notes a final time in last 5-7 days. From book, just browse fast and reread topics you think you need to get more clarity. Last 5 days your mind works fast too.

I had worked in Networking/System Administration, IT Support, System Engineering, and last over 10 years in Infrastructure/Solution Architecture which covers every facet of IT except Software Development, that is IMO, one is in the best position to adopt CISSP for career in Cyber Security. I did CISSP because I don't have anything new to learn and enjoy in traditional IT/Engineering.

Good Luck to future CISSP aspirants.

12 Replies
ogomez
Viewer II

Congratulations! 👏

Imran_sdq
Newcomer II

congrats on passing the exam. CISSP is not an easy road to travel. Well done, Sir.

Imran_sdq
Newcomer II

Official CISSP CBK Reference book and the Sybex OSG cover same subject but have different foci. Sybex OSG is written from the exam POV and CISSP CBK Reference is an accompanying reference which you consult for a topic you want to look more details l, not that Sybex OSG does not have enough details.

I actually barely read CBK reference. So you may want to focus on the OSG cover to cover and use CBK book as reference if you need more theoretical background information about a topic.

Practice Test is just for practice test. In contrast to other tests like MCSE, and AWS official test books, you cannot expect questions to come in the CISSP exam. All that material is just to prepare you for the security manager and security engineer mindset. You have to understand concepts and able to apply the knowledge.

Study OSG, practice tests, and do lots of Google, Internet resources, but verify information. All of that will consume more time but it will prepare you well.

Good luck.