cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Thisisme
Reader I

CISSP exam requrements

Hello,

If I do not have 5 years of equivalent experience, does that mean I do not qualify to attend the CISSP exam? I have a master's degree in information systems security, certification as a Cisco Cyber Ops associate, ITIL and 8 years of system administration. My understanding is that either the master's or the certification would be considered equal to a year of experience, which means if I manage to pass I would need additional 4 years of relevant experience within 6 years of time. 

However, one of the (ISC)2 partnered training centers has rejected me to register for their CISSP training saying I do not meet the required pre-requisite (lack of experience). 

Could someone help me clarify please? is there anyone in my situation?  I want to give it a try. 

8 Replies
dcontesti
Community Champion

@Thisisme 

So your Master's would definitely qualify as one year towards the experience requirement.

I am confused as to why ANY training provider would refuse you.  I really think that part of the question, is best answered by someone on the management team with whom you can provide all the details.

As to the exam, you would be able to sit for the examination and become an Associate (should you pass the exam) and then would have the six years to gain the additional experience.  Your note states that you have been doing system administration for eight years , so you might have more experience than you think.

I would ask that @AndreaMoore forward your note and comments to the appropriate folk internally so that they can reach out and assist you.

Regards

d

ssomuah
Newcomer I

Per my understanding, your Masters's degree should reduce the five-year requirement to 4 for you. I however find it strange why a training center will turn you away. If for nothing at all, you should be allowed to train, write the exam, and be certified as an associate.

Stephen Somuah, CISSP
Kaity
Community Manager

Hello! 

Happy to chime in while Andrea is on PTO today 🙂 Your Master's degree absolutely will waive one year from the experience requirements, so you're only looking at 4 years instead of 5. The rest of the 4 years of experience need to map to any 2 (or more) of the 8 domains of the CISSP - https://www.isc2.org/Certifications/CISSP/experience-requirements

While our team isn't able to take your CV and review it ahead of you sitting for the exam to assure your experience requirements are met, the link I posted has the information we use during the experience review portion of the endorsement process. 

I have to agree with the others ... a training center turning you down seems very unusual. I would not expect that and if you'd like to share their information with me privately, I'd be happy to relay that to my colleagues here. And as @dcontesti said, you can take the CISSP with any amount of experience and become an Associate of (ISC)² - so even if you don't have the other 4 years you need (though it sounds like you might), you can still sit for the exam and your pass will count. 

Thisisme
Reader I

Thank you for taking the time. Appreciate it. I did actually go through the link you shared to verify all the requirements for the CISSP exam. I was surprised too when I was told that I do not meet the requirement and won't put me through the training! When I mentioned that I could be an associate if I pass, I have been told I misread it. This is one of the (ISC)² partnered training centers, I found them from this link https://www.isc2.org/Training/Partners 

Let me know how could I pass along the name in private. This was definitely misleading. 

BrianF
Newcomer III

I'm not certain on this, but each partner may have their own criteria and may be focussed on their own risks with some policy restrictions. I suspect this is especially true if they have a pass / certification guaranty that provides some time of advertised contingency such as $ back or exam retakes. 

Find another training provider?

Good luck!

dcontesti
Community Champion

I am sure that @AndreaMoore  has already passed this along internally, however, I would send the information along to @GJackson for him to review.

I firmly believe that any training partner on that list SHOULD BE WELL AWARE of the requirements for certifications by the organization including the Associate program.

There are several Board Members that have accounts here, let's also tag them to see if an answer can be located for you.  @JP @dhouser @LoriRossONeil  (I am sure there are a few more that lurk here).

Regards

d

AndreaMoore
Community Manager

@Thisisme I've sent you a private message requesting further information. Thanks!

ISC2 Community Manager
JP
Newcomer III

Thanks for the tag @dcontesti - reading through, I'd suggest this request/feedback is already with the right folks in (ISC)², this doesn't seem right from my perspective to be outright declined training.