cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ymundhra01
Newcomer I

CISSP - College Degree WaiveOff

Hi,

I have a 4 year engineering degree in electronics and communication (not cse). Would this count for the educational requirements. I have 4 years of work experience in cybersecurity (covering 2 of the 8 domains), so I wanted to check if I could write certification right away.

13 Replies
Beads
Advocate I

I used my four year degree in Data Processing back in the day and had no problems. Yes, I really have been in the field before it was IS/MIS/IT and certainly well before 'cyber' came back into fashion. Can hardly wait to hear what we will call the field next.

- B/Eads

dcontesti
Community Champion

According to the (ISC)2 https://www.isc2.org/Certifications/CISSP/Experience-Requirements

So based on this, I would say that you can use your degree for one (1) year's experience.

Regardless, you can still write the exam as an Associate.

Regards

d

Kaity
Community Manager

Yes, this degree definitely would waive 1 year of the experience requirements for CISSP. 

ymundhra01
Newcomer I

Thanks all for your response.

Just to double sure, is there a requirement that the degree should be from a list of colleges that ISC2 approves? 

If the response is yes, where can i find the list?

ymundhra01
Newcomer I

Just to double sure, is there a requirement that the degree should be from a list of colleges that ISC2 approves?

If the response is yes, where can i find the list?
denbesten
Community Champion

The link earlier included is the official requirement.  It states, "You can substitute a maximum of one year work experience if you hold a four-year college degree or regional equivalent or ...".

That is what one needs to meet.  Don't read anything into it that is not there. So, is your degree from a college and is it a 4-year degree?   "Regional Equivalent" would be something like a "University".

einstein
Newcomer I

I just viewed the webpage at "https://www.isc2.org/Certifications/CISSP/Experience-Requirements" and it says the following among other things:

Relevant Education or Certifications Held

You may satisfy one year of required experience through holding one of the following below (you will then need four years of relevant work experience):

• Four-Year College Degree or Regional Equivalent
    You can substitute a maximum of one year work experience if you hold a four-year college degree or regional equivalent or an advanced degree in information security from the U.S. National Center of Academic Excellence in Information Assurance Education (CAE/IAE).

OR......

HENCE it seems that the four-year college degree HAS to be in information security.....

AndreaMoore
Community Manager

Hello all, 

@einstein @ymundhra01 @denbesten @dcontesti 

I've asked this question internally and can clarify: 

A 4-year degree, regardless of discipline or where it is earned, can waive a year off the CISSP work history requirement. 

We do not require the degree to be from a specific list of colleges. 

ISC2 Community Manager
denbesten
Community Champion

@AndreaMoore and @Kaity 's responses match what has been previously reported.

However I can see where confusion arises because the sentence can be parsed two ways:

1. four-year college degree or regional equivalent or (an advanced degree in information security from CAE/IAE).
  2. (four-year college degree or regional equivalent or an advanced degree) in information security from CAE/IAE.

It might be useful to recommend rephrasing to reduce ambiguity. At the same time the CAE portion needs a revisit as their designations changed (IAE is no longer a thing).