Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cflower
Newcomer I

CISPP - Discrepancies between CISSP Official (ISC2) Textbook and CISSP Official Study Guide (Wiley)

Hi everyone,

I've noticed some discrepancies in the Domain 3 topics between the CISSP Official (ISC2) Textbook, 6th edition (purchased from the official ISC2 website with self-paced training), and the CISSP Official Study Guide, 9th edition by Wiley (purchased from the official Wiley website). Specifically, these differences appear in chapter 3.4 Understand security capabilities of Information Systems (e.g., memory protection, Trusted Platform Module (TPM), encryption/decryption). For example, in the CISPP (ISC2) Official Textbook, 6th edition there is no specific mention about Common Criteria.

Could anyone clarify which source contains the most up-to-date information? 

Thank you!

2 Replies
Early_Adopter
Community Champion

I’m afraid you’ll find more issues in the official books as you go, ISC2 has gotten less good over the years at keeping them up to date/complete. I’d recommend the All-in-one as it’s descended from the work of Shon Harris - but none of the books out there will be perfect.

So you should probably look at the sources there and use your judgement.

For example on TPMs - what are they? What do they do? Are they important? Why? Are likely to be thing you ned to know - you need ent know that updating versions of TPM played merry hell with vendors for disk encryption messing up driver support in pre-boot OS’s.

Ultimately if you want to fix it tell author/publisher.
ayou7647
Newcomer I

Hi !  - It's important to understand those books were current for 2021 exam and the 2024 exam is now in place and the new study guide is available for pre-order.  I got caught in a similar situation as just did my exam on April 25th.  There are 2 great resources - Peter Zerger's CISSP Exam Cram on YouTube has great "differences" video and if you are familiar with Thor's CISSP work - he also has a great summary.