cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ALKahn10
Newcomer III

cybrary.it ISSEP Course - Thoughts?

Hey all - 

I was thinking about dipping my toe into the waters on ISSEP.  Has anyone taken the cybrary.it ISSEP course?  Was it beneficial?  I don't suspect it is nearly enough to pass ISSEP.

Thanks!

---
Andrew L. Kahn, CISSP, CCSP, CEH
Ham Radio Callsign: WA8LIV
12 Replies
gidyn
Contributor III

From their website:

This course will provide the student with a solid understanding of the five ISSEP domains along with the key areas of knowledge critical to meeting the rigors of this concentration. While not an exam preparation course, the Cybrary ISSEP course aims to provide a solid starting point for such study.

ALKahn10
Newcomer III

Did not see that note 🙃.  Thanks.

---
Steve-Wilme
Advocate II

Probably best to start with the official CBK book for all the concentrations.  

There are reasons beyond the content, as there are lots of studies on retention of information acquired through paper texts vs digital content.  Just Google it and you'll see what I mean, there's a lot of neuropsych research in that area.  I always prefer paper.  I always precis what I've understood into hand written notes, then learn my own notes. 

Of course you can use other materials to supplement, but I stick to what works.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Steve Wilme CISSP-ISSAP, ISSMP MCIIS
ALKahn10
Newcomer III

My frustration with the CBK is that the CBK is super old to the point where ISC2 doesn't even list it anymore as a resource for ISSEP.

Official (ISC)² Textbooks | Study Guides and Resources (isc2.org)

or

CBK Suggested References | (ISC)² (isc2.org)

I've really been pushing for them to refresh the CBKs for the concentrations and for the other certs.  It feels like the only way to "train" for them is to pay for the ~$2600 self study course or read all of the CBK Suggested References (PMBOK and ISO standard are not freely available).

For CISSP and CCSP I was able to grab resources from my local library, LinkedIn learning, Cybrary.it and other places to read, study, and learn.

I have no problem paying for these resources, however, there isn't a consumable way to "taste" or trial the concentration to see if it's for you.  An updated CBK could be a quick read and a good way to trial the sources before moving onto heavy NIST resources.

---
Steve-Wilme
Advocate II

It might be an idea if ISC(2) expanded their guide to the certification to include more detail on the content of the CBKs so that people could form a better view on if it was right for them.  I mean would including 3 or 4 sample pages from the CBK text book really be damaging?  I would have thought that if they've a product for sale ISC(2) would understand that they need to showcase it better.

ALKahn10
Newcomer III

I'd like to see them publish and keep all CBKs updated.  I'd easily pay for a book.  I'm not likely to pay for their $2600 class without a great way to trial study.

---
Steve-Wilme
Advocate II

Andrew, I never put my hand in my pocket to pay for a course other than ISO 2700 Leader Auditor, which I booked a week before Christmas one year, because who really wants to sit in classroom all week immediately before Christmas, so course were literally half price. You should be able to do just about any qualification by self study, unless an organisation erects a barrier to an exam pass being valid, that you must take their expensive course first.

When I did my CISSP back in 2009, which was the the old paper and ISC(2) pencil fill in the correct circle affair, a couple of the candidates in the queue said that there was no way you could pass the exam without going on a formal course. I just assumed they were saying that to justify their own investment in courses to themselves. Passed the exam with 7 days self study. The ISSMP and ISSAP took about 3 or 4 days self study each. I'd expect the ISSEP to be similar.

So I'd ecourage you to just give it a go.  

Brooks_C
Viewer II

Hi Andrew

I am with you on the frustration that the "Official CBK" is so old, and not just for this area but also for the ISSAP. I looked around and there are not many resources to help. I already had a subscription to Cybrary so I began the course they have. I am about half way through and find that it is giving a good base but little concerned if I will be ready for the exam. and all exam preps I am finding are on the old requirements for this certification. 

When I complete the course in a couple of weeks I will have to assess if I think I am ready for the exam. What helped me with the CCSP and the CISSP is that I have been working in the IT support industry for almost 30 years now. And the concepts I have covered in the Cybrary course so far are not new to me. 

Regards

ALKahn10
Newcomer III

Picked up the book, I'm 50 pages in.  With ISC2's post about making the concentrations no longer require CISSP.  I'm deciding to take the plunge.  I have a CISSP, so it doesn't matter but regardless... I'm glad to see ISC2 drum up some news regarding these three concentrations.

---