Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Action1
Newcomer III

ISSEP Career

Not so much a study question but more of a simple professional/career question.

I'm currently serving as an Information Systems Security Engineer and have to earn the ISSEP to keep the position. I really enjoy what I'm doing and hope I pass the cert. 

Just curious if anyone has any insight into "What's Next" for a security engineer career wise. What would be the continued natural career progression for an ISSEP. 

I want to lay out my career roadmap and any insight would be greatly appreciated.

3 Replies
AppDefects
Community Champion

One of the core tenants of the ISSEP certification from day one was the Technical Program Management domain. It was near and dear to my lonely heart. I fought for it and the Systems Engineering domain at every opportunity in order to shape the certification into something that reflected deep technical knowledge and was globally applicable (yes we took out US Government Regulations). The certification became the life blood for real engineers building trustworthy systems. They understood engineering process and principals and knew how and when to apply that knowledge.

Looking at the latest domain changes you wouldn't know that. The new domains have morphed into what the next generation see's as important - engineering has lost important ground. It makes we sad. Those principals died fast when there were no Engineers at the discussion table. Sadly, those domains have become homogenized into something like a CISSP domain. ISSEP/Engineers please go forth and in the next JTA and fix this! 

Now that you have heard my heart breaking story, I will say I am proud to be a Security Engineer and a Cyber Security Technical Program Manager (TPM). I love NIST, ISO/IEC, and INCOSE standards. What's next? Applying systems security engineering principals to the Cloud. Possibly, as a Cloud Security Architect. Driving the design and implementation of large cyber solutions as a TPM.

Be all that you can be. Be an Engineer and stay true to the discipline. Wear that Engineers ring proudly. Take care my friend!

Action1
Newcomer III

@AppDefects 

Thanks so much for the background and insight. I have definitely learned that engineering is a mindset and it must be thought of as such. I was actually thinking that Cloud Security Engineering might be the wave of the future. I plan to immediately start studying and learning Cloud Security Engineering and go for the CCSP once I get the ISSEP.

RRoach
Contributor I

Don't know what options you have and depending on level IASAE I/II/III but what about CASP+ CE,CISSP-ISSAP, or CCSP as listed in 8570.