cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Newcomer I

renewing CISSP after 3 years

Hello,

In January next year, 2020, my 3 years of holding a CISSP certification ends, I assume I have to retake the CISSP exam to retain the certification, is that correct?

BTW I have asked member support several times over the last couple of months but not had a single reply apart from one asking if i was happy with the response - what response?

Thanks,

Paul

3 Replies
Highlighted
Newcomer III

Re: renewing CISSP after 3 years

Hi, Paul.
You'll only have to re-take the exam if you can't demonstrate enough time
spent in continuing professional education during the lifetime of your
certification. 120 hours over 3 years, for CISSP (with a few rules around
what's applicable in which circumstances).
See
https://www.isc2.org/-/media/ISC2/Certifications/CPE/CPE---Handbook-Digital-V2.ashx
for the full story.
I think it goes without saying that the admin around recording your CPE
hours is chicken-feed compared with the trouble and expense of preparing
for and taking the exam again!
Best
Tim
Highlighted
Community Champion

@Paulw_isp wrote:

Hello,

In January next year, 2020, my 3 years of holding a CISSP certification ends, I assume I have to retake the CISSP exam to retain the certification, is that correct?

Paul,

@TimG gave you the perfect advice on how to take care of your renewal prep. However, since you have not, yet, studied the Handbook he pointed to, here is more to know. You do not have to accumulate all 120 CPE credits between now and January. Study the entire handbook to understand what counts as CPE. Go back over your formal and informal learning activities since receiving your certification, and identify all that qualify as CPE. Submit all your events at your dashboard at www.isc2.org. Do not waste time asking here in the Community if something counts, just go ahead and submit it. Be sure to include enough information to describe the event and show you took part. URLs of for the event, copies of emails showing you signed up or completed, screen captures or slides from presenters' decks all can help.

Next, don't let the Type A and Type B categories confuse you. Type A events must relate to one or more of the CBK Domains. Type B is any professional development event that cannot be tied to a Domain. You are not required to have any Type B, but if you have them, they are limited to 30 of your 120 CPE. Better and easier, just accumulate all Type A.

Finally, if you are still short of the 120 after describing your work up to now, dive into online webinars and presentations. An hour or two a night watching webinars and relevant presentations, and even listening to podcasts in your car to and from work, allows you to knock out CPEs, all free, quickly. Webinars from (ISC)2, ISSA, SANS, CMU SEI, CSIAC, etc.,  as well as public presentations from www.c-span.org (search their recordings for "cybersecurity") will give you more than you can possibly need.

Good luck!

Dr. D. Cragin Shelton, CISSP
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
https://CraginS.blogspot.com/
My Community Profile
My LinkedIn Profile
href="Not Passing a Cert Exam is Not the Same as Failing" target="new";;https://cragins.blogspot.com/2018/08/pass-rates-for-professional-exams.html
Highlighted
Community Champion

@Paulw_isp wrote:

BTW I have asked member support several times over the last couple of months but not had a single reply apart from one asking if i was happy with the response - what response?

Reading this actually got me laughing. There've been a lot of posts on the community by members frustrated with the horrible support, but you've nailed it, and kudos for that!

Akin to ordering something at a restaurant and being approached by the Chef asking how the meal was --- before the order arrives.

Assuming this isn't another flaw in their system, they've meant to ask if you're happy with the lack of response...  Man Wink

Jokes aside, re-certification doesn't require retaking the exam itself, so long as you earn the required number of CPEs, pay the AMFs, and abide by the Code of Ethics.

(Of course, there's no harm in retaking the exam, if you have ample resources --- time & money --- and are willing to risk not clearing it.)

Shannon D'Cruz,
CISM, CISSP

www.linkedin.com/in/shannondcruz