cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JYeager
Viewer III

Risk Mitigation vs Risk Treatment

Hello all!

I was hoping to get some input/clarification on the two terms I’ve seen some people use interchangeably, but I’m pretty sure they mean two different things.

Risk Mitigation is putting controls in place to reduce or limit the adverse affects of risks, identified or likely to occur.

Risk treatment is after the risk assessment, where you look at the identified risks and create controls to…treat them.

So basically Mitigation is proactive approach that can basically be done anytime, while risk treatment is reactive, something that is done only during the risk assessment and after a risk has been identified.

Thanks in advance!
4 Replies
ericgeater
Community Champion

I've always understood risk mitigation to itself be one of the four risk treatments.  The other three treatments are accept, avoid, or transfer.

-----------
A claim is as good as its veracity.
denbesten
Community Champion

@ericgeater wrote:

I've always understood risk mitigation to itself be one of the four risk treatments.  The other three treatments are accept, avoid, or transfer.

That too is my understanding.

In some circles, I have seen claims that "ignoring" or "denying" are additional treatments, but truly those are just cases of implicitly accepting risk.  Read up on the Challenger's demise as a great example of NASA management implicitly accepting risk by denying the engineers' assessment.

ericgeater
Community Champion

For simplicity's sake, I chose to leave out "ignore" because it isn't part of the exam, nor the curriculum.

But yeah, "ignore" is a risk treatment, too.  A very, very stupid risk treatment.  😆

-----------
A claim is as good as its veracity.
JYeager
Viewer III

Ty everyone!! I appreciate the answers and it helps me understand it now!