Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
adonyec
Newcomer I

How to Crack the CCSP Exam - My Biased and Non-biased Views

I was waiting to take my own CCSP exam before being in a position to give advise. As one popular NFL coach once said "Don't draw me a map unless you've been there."

My views are given from two perspectives (of course, with regards to my signed NDA):

1. Biased (I'm already CISSP certified.)

2. Non-biased 

1. For those CISSP candidates planning to take the CCSP exam, attending ISC2 Self Study classes (if you can afford them), reading the study materials (as well as looking up reference materials  - sites like CSA, NIST SPs, etc.), taking test questions and supplementing with some popular online video classes (if you have a subscription) will make the CCSP exam much easier for you. In my case, I did not take the CCSP or even the CISSP self study classes. I couldn't afford them. I felt I could read all the study materials and understand the concepts coupled with my work experience.

You should finish the CCSP exam well under 3 hours with lots of time to spare. The pressure is much less here compared to CISSP. Relax, but be focused. 

2. Now, my non-biased view especially for first timers or those who attempted and failed - Prepare like you're going to take the CISSP exam (lol).

We are all different in how we absorb study materials and memorize concepts. Some folks may have to read the materials, guides, attend online classes, etc. twice over a 4 week period. Others may need to read all the materials and listen to videos four or five times and require 12 or more weeks to grasp the concepts.

Only you know what best works for you. But the bottom line is you have to think CCSP everyday, eat CCSP everyday, sleep CCSP everyday and dream CCSP everyday!!

It may mean you have no time for socializing with friends or your family and loved ones. The key is letting them know ahead of time that you would "not have a life" as you prepare. It is important you stay organized and set a time frame. If you waver and go on studying for months on end, you will lose focus and get derailed. After the exam (hopefully you pass), you can then make it up to friends, loved ones and family.

Note that the questions in the Study guides and whatever you get online can never replicate the actual exam questions. Treat them only as a guide. They are not authoritative. Most of the ISC2 questions are scenario-based.

Finally, how do you know you're ready to take the exam and have a set date?

Different folks, Different strokes!

Some folks advise setting an exam date and then work towards it.

For me, I have found that it is best to first study the materials without any pressure - like reading a novel and seeing if you like and understand the concepts explained therein.

This gives me a feel of the battle that I'm up against and then I can map out my strategy based on time, other commitments like work, etc. 

If my strategy is to study all the materials x amount of times over 8 weeks, by the 5th week I should be scoring 80% and above in the sample test questions. I then check for exam dates and see how far out the available dates are. If I see I can book a confirmed date within 7 days, then by week 6, I should be fully assured that I'm ready. I then confirm my exam date (I like morning exams since I'm refreshed after a good night's sleep).

A few days before the exam, you have gained sufficient confidence and understanding that if the exam were given there and then, you would be ready. That's when you know you are set. You are not scrambling to remember basic concepts. You find yourself sleeping early and waking up on exam day without really having to panic or be stressed. If you are still reading your study guides and all other materials on the way to the exam, you are not confident!!

Hope the above tips help.

Now, go live your dream of being CCSP certified and wishing you the best in 2022!!

9 Replies
SecuritySpice
Viewer II

This post was helpful.  Thanks for sharing!  I too am CISSP certified and plan on taking the CCSP sometime before June 2022.  Question for you:

With the test changing in August 2022, which version(s) of the Study Guide do you suggest?

1.  The Official (ISC)2 Guide to the CBK by Gordon/SYBEX 2nd Edition Copyright 2016

2.  The (ISC)2 CCSP Certified Cloud Security Professional Official Study Guide, 2nd Edition Ben Malisow copyright Dec. 2019

3.  The Official (ISC)2 CCSP CBK Reference, 3rd Edition by Leslie Fife, Aaron Kraus, Bryan Lewis 3rd Edition SYBEX July 2021

Thanks in advance!

vekarman
Viewer III

I always recommend friends to read the study material as a novel, not as a preparation for exam, and understand the concept. And I am not alone!!
SMallick
Newcomer I

Many Thanks to you... Really this is very helpful advice for me or like me.
every thing you describe with very practically and various aspects, it really helpful and important comment for every one specially like me (who want to crack CISSP but still confused about Study-Exam Plan).

Thanks Again my dear 'adonyec'.
adonyec
Newcomer I

Of course, it would be difficult to say one particular book is the best.
With the test changing in August 2022 your best bet is to go with any book
of your choice that covers everything listed in the CBK. Ben Malisow was
one of the study guides I used, but it wasn't sufficient for me.
I remember when doing my CISSP that I used both the official study guide by
Mike Chapple and complemented with Shon Harris for a different perspective.

--
Adonye Chamberlain
spamariner
Newcomer I

Thanks for an encouraging post. I too am CISSP qualified and have taken the self-paced learning package for CCSP now. Can you guide me some sources of test questions please.

Thanks in advance!
adonyec
Newcomer I

Much of my practice tests were from the ISC2 Official Practice Tests. But
from my experience they are only guides. They do not replicate actual ISC2
questions just like you found out when doing the CISSP exam.

--
Adonye Chamberlain
spamariner
Newcomer I

Thanks Adonye, I agree that the questions in the practice tests would generally not replicate the actual exam questions..
However, I am unable to locate even the official practice tests! Can you guide me to the url or the location from where I can access/ purchase them. To me it seems, that while the official practice tests were available earlier, they have maybe been discontinued!
Hopefully, I'm wrong and its just my folly that I am unable to locate them. Can someone help me locate them.

Saurabh
adonyec
Newcomer I

They are all available on Amazon. However, as an ISC2 member you can get discounts on their official texts, study guide and practice tests.
I'm prevented from adding add url links on this site. You can visit the ISC2 site under Exam preparation => Self Study Tools.

--
Adonye Chamberlain
spamariner
Newcomer I

Thanks