Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kguyah
Viewer

Certified in Cybersecurity vs CompTIA Security+

Hi, does anyone know if the Certified in Cybersecurity certificate is a higher level of the Security+ certificate? I am currently studying for the Security+ certificate and plan to tackle the CC next.

19 Replies
Chpmunk314
Viewer

Comptia is more detailed in Security operations and CC is more of a mindset as manager and compliance which normally pays more.

AndreaMoore
Community Manager

We have a page comparing (ISC)² Certified in Cybersecurity and CompTIA Security+ here: https://www.isc2.org/Insights/2022/09/entry-level-cc-versus-security-plus

(ISC)² Certified in Cybersecurity (CC) is intended to demonstrate foundational knowledge of cybersecurity concepts for those seeking junior and entry-level positions. Some candidates find that (ISC)² SSCP (and/or Security+) is more technical in nature. For Security+, at least two years of IT administration experience with a security focus are recommended. Compartively, SSCP is the ideal certification for those with proven technical skills and practical, hands-on security knowledge in operational IT roles. It provides confirmation of a practitioner’s ability to implement, monitor and administer IT infrastructure in accordance with information security policies and procedures that ensure data confidentiality, integrity and availability. Candidates must have a minimum of one year cumulative work experience in one or more of the seven domains of the SSCP CBK.

Each certification serves a different purpose for professionals in their career development.

There is another discussion here where members discuss CC & SSCP: https://community.isc2.org/t5/Exams/Is-the-CC-enough-for-the-SSCP/m-p/57471#M2318 

ISC2 Community Manager
JoePete
Advocate I

@AndreaMoore wrote:

We have a page comparing (ISC)² Certified in Cybersecurity and CompTIA Security+ here: https://www.isc2.org/Articles/entry-level-cc-versus-security-plus 

A couple of additions to that page may be:

1) "The CompTIA Security+ was launched in 2002. The Certified in Cybersecurity was launched in late 2022. As such, the industry is still familiarizing itself with the CC."

2) "As a CC, you will become a member of the (ISC)2 ...."

I think #1 might help alleviate worries among new CCs that employers haven't heard of it or it's not showing in job descriptions. #2, Membership means something (or should). 

cleo00
Newcomer I

Greetings:

Indeed it can be frustrating studying hard, but only to fail the test. I know passing would have been hard with just the free course offered by ISC2. Maybe the paid study guide would have worked, but If I had not taken a Comptia security+ course, and Youtube videos by Prabh Nair (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSkjmlb2cQ4) I may have had a different result.

This worked for me, and may work for you. I would go through his 5 Domain questions at least 3 times if you have kinda IT background.

cleo00
Newcomer I

To me, CC and Security+ kinda touch on the same major topics.  To me the "wrapping (compTIA vs ISC1) and exam cost" is the major difference.  My experience taking the Security+ course 16years ago helped me pass the CC.

Wasim_Ali
Viewer

It's great to hear that you got these certificates; of course, the post is old, and I expect you to have more certifications. I would like to be motivated by your experience; please let me know what you are doing now, where you are working, and what your advice is for someone who has just passed CC exam and doesn't know what to do.

Thank you
Deadlock
Viewer II

Hello @psatam,

Your link is not secure and accessible.

I wrote the exam and failed because I prepared for just 3 weeks and taught ISC2 will set exams similar to the practice test. But I got to the exam and was shocked when I saw scenario based questions. I will re-write the exam again.
deanna35193178
Newcomer I

Hello there Akin,

May I ask what you mean by writing the exam! I failed it as well because
the content is based on live events and networking added. The course
content is not related to the exam as it is more in depth with actual
content of events. However, maybe the study materials provided from ISC2,
aren't fully aware of what is truly on the exam. How can that be corrected
to know what to study for if your going in blindsided or green per se?

Thanks,
Deanna
nkeaton
Newcomer III

In my experience, when someone says write the exam, they are either from India or learned English from an Indian teacher. That is just how they say that are taking an exam, just a different way of saying it.