cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CameraDan
Viewer

Looking for advice to get a job in CyberSecurity, Now that I passed my exam

Hi all,

I passed my CC exam Dec 2022 with ISC2 and am now looking to get a job in the world of Cybersecurity. I've been looking on plenty of job sites but none seem to say they accept the CC certificate from ISC2. Everything I kept coming across was suggesting I essentially study again to earn the Comptia or security+ certificates to then land myself an entry level job in the industry.

Am I looking in all the wrong places? 

I wondered if anyone can point me in the right direction of where I should be looking for jobs with the qualification. I am new to this industry and have no prior experience. or should I still be applying for these jobs even if they dont accept CC from ISC2?

Any advice would be much appreciated to get the ball rolling.

Thanks.

Dan

5 Replies
AndreaMoore
Community Manager

Check out the Community job board: https://community.isc2.org/t5/Cybersecurity-Job-Openings/bd-p/Cybersecurity-Jobs

Here is a blog we published in the past: https://blog.isc2.org/isc2_blog/2021/08/five-steps-to-get-a-cybersecurity-job.html

ISC2 Community Manager
Waldemar
Viewer

Hi Dan

The best advice I can give you is if you are available on LinkedIn to look directly for CISSP certification holders in your area.

They know your certification and are usually helpful when it comes to supporting the community.

Once you find them, write to each one and ask them directly if they can help you with your search. You may be surprised at the results you can get using this method.

Best regards

Waldemar

JoePete
Advocate I

@CameraDan wrote:

I passed my CC exam Dec 2022 with ISC2 and am now looking to get a job in the world of Cybersecurity. I've been looking on plenty of job sites but none seem to say they accept the CC certificate from ISC2.

The CC is so new that I don't think the marketplace has figured out where or if it fits. One of the benchmarks out there for determining where certifications stack up is the DoD directive 8570 - it matches certs to job levels. Here, you might find this helpful:
https://public.cyber.mil/cw/cwmp/dod-approved-8570-baseline-certifications/

The most respected certifications are the ones that validate or otherwise require experience. Of course, the question is how do you get experience without a job? For next to nothing, you can put OpenWrt on a router pulled out of the trash and start learning network security or a dozen other things with no investment greater than your own curiosity. Trust me, at hiring time if you can tell someone what you have actually been able to build and learn, even if just on your own, that will be valuable.

AndreaMoore
Community Manager

Sharing here on this discussion thread too.

I also posted this over in the Early Career Group (located here: https://community.isc2.org/t5/Early-Career-Associate-Group/gh-p/EarlyCareer_Associate_Group

The Center for Cyber Safety and Education is launching an inclusive conversation series for cybersecurity professionals.  This virtual conversation allows newcomers to the cybersecurity field to come together, build ideas, and talk it out. Please come and share your experiences that led to successful transition into the cybersecurity field either from school or another position/industry. While you're here, you can encourage fellow attendees to do the same!

Topic: STARTING YOUR CAREER IN CYBERSECURITY 

Date: Monday, March 13, 2023 

Time: 11AM-12PM ET (UTC -5) 

Place: Virtual Webex Meeting 

We welcome any newcomers to the cybersecurity field-whether still trying to get your foot in the door or having just started your career! This will be an open forum conversation to encourage honest, open dialog to discuss your experience in starting your career in cyber. Let's chat:

• What has been the most challenging aspect of starting your career?
  • Now that you’ve gone down this path, is it what you expected?
  • Are you getting the resources you need to keep growing?
  • Do you feel like anything is holding you back from success in cyber or your goals?
  • How can we (Center) help?

Register: https://www.iamcybersafe.org/s/newbies 

ISC2 Community Manager
Kalexander_
Newcomer I

I actually saw the CC listed as an optioned recently, i think it was a position at booz Allen Hamilton. I’ve been looking about two weeks now and only saw it once. I think we have to realize this is still very new, the imitative just rolled out sometime last year and if what I’ve read is correct the number of issued certs is still fairly low compared to the goal. Keep looking and be patient. Add to your knowledge. I’m taking security+ next. Some of what’s covered on the cc will be on security+. You’ll be reinforcing what’s you’ve already learned and seeing a lot of new material.