cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
azi90
Newcomer II

Experience to replace the certification requirement

Hi,
I was thinking to aim towards SSCP certification but i do not have any experience in Security sector besides access control( More details below).

I have about 5 years of IT experience as Sys/Netw admin and wanted to move in to security field . My question is, will my access control at work can be counted towards the 1 year requirement for SSCP Certficiation. I have been doing access control ( provisioning keyfobs, managing who can access office at what time through Program called brivo etc.) for past 2 years. I know official certification calls for access control domain but im not sure if this will be the same thing.

-Azfar

12 Replies
Early_Adopter
Community Champion

Hi Azfar,

I would reach out to someone you trust who is SSCP certified and ask them, but I think that sys/net admin might well map to three of those domains. You only need a year's experience in one domain.

Cheers,

Michael

PS From ISC2 Ultimate Guide:

The Systems Security Certified Practitioner (SSCP) is the ideal certification for those with proven technical skills and practical, hands-on security knowledge in operational IT roles. It provides confirmation of a practitioner’s ability to implement, monitor and administer IT infrastructure in accordance with information security policies and procedures that ensure data confidentiality, integrity, and availability.

The broad spectrum of topics included in the SSCP Common Body of Knowledge (CBK)ensures its relevancy across all disciplines in the eld of information security. Successful candidates are competent in the following 7 domains:

Access Controls
Security Operations and Administration
Risk Identification, Monitoring, and Analysis

Incident Response and Recovery
Cryptography
Network and Communications Security
Systems and Application Security

https://www.isc2.org/Certifications/SSCP

dcontesti
Community Champion

Morning,

Even if you do not have the experience, you can sit the exam and if you pass you can become an associated.  The best folks to determine if your experience fits is (ISC)2.

Regards

azi90
Newcomer II

even the ISC 2 wont answer this question before i go write the exam....

I mean this is so weird. All i want to know is if my prior experience will qualify to gain cert or not before i go spend thousands of Dollars on something that will not do anything for me on my resume.

amandavanceISC2

@azi90 Thank you for your inquiry. Please know, I responded to your email you sent to membersupport@isc2.org earlier this afternoon.

Unfortunately, we are not able to validate your work experience prior to you passing the exam and submitting your endorsement application. I would suggest downloading the SSCP Ultimate Guide and reviewing each of the seven domains to determine if your work as a systems/network admin. falls into at least one of the domains. The requirement to hold the SSCP is to have at least one year of full-time, paid work experience in at least one of the seven domains. The Ultimate Guide to the SSCP will break down each domain for you. 

SSCP Domains:

Access Controls

Security Operations and Administration

Risk Identification, Monitoring, and Analysis

Incident Response and Recovery

Cyrptography

Network and Communications Security

Systems and Application Security

Candidates can also waive the one year experience by holding a degree that originates from a cyber security program. Here is a link to the Prerequisite Pathway for more information.

Best Regards,

Amanda Vance

azi90
Newcomer II

Amanda,

I understood your email. However even the workbook only mentions "access control domain" Now what exactly comes under that domain? will my access management of issuing/deactivating new and old key fobs to access the building count? 

I understand you cant tell me before i submit it formally. But there should be some idea. Like i dont want to risk thousands of dollars only to find out my experience is not eligible.

dcontesti
Community Champion

Even if you spend the thousands of dollars you mention and do not have the experience you can still become an ASSOCIATE which will allow you to work and gain the experience you may or may not be lacking.

azi90
Newcomer II

dcontesti, unfortunately "associate of ISC2" doesnt weigh anything on the RESUME and for HR. It wont even make pass the Resume bots because they would be looking for SSCP. May be if you make your way through HR than those words will mean something for someone.(technical manager)

amandavanceISC2

@azi90 Please see page 4 of the SSCP Exam Outline for a breakdown of the Access Control domain. This will break down the domain into subcategories for you to determine if the experience you have falls under this domain. The pages following will break down the remaining six domains. 

Best,

Amanda 

azi90
Newcomer II

THanks Amanda,

One last question

Can my experience be part of any SUB CATEGORY ( fall under) under those domains or i have to have experience in every category under that domain to be qualified