cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BonezUK
Viewer

CISSP Requirements.

Hello All,

I'm thinking about starting out on CISSP, but getting slightly confused about the requirements.  I have 3yrs experience as network engineer, 5 yrs NOC experience and currently working as Network engineer for a large ISP for the past 3yrs, will this be enough to get me started ?

Regards

3 Replies
CraginS
Defender I

@BonezUK wrote:

Hello All,

I'm thinking about starting out on CISSP, but getting slightly confused about the requirements.  I have 3yrs experience as network engineer, 5 yrs NOC experience and currently working as Network engineer for a large ISP for the past 3yrs, will this be enough to get me started ?

Regards

Shahid,

None of those job titles indicate that you have been doing any security work as part of your duties. However, it is common for workers in such positions to have some security duties.The experience requirements for certification are that you must have five years of experience performing information security duties full time, in at least two of the eight Common Body of Knowledge domains. If you can describe your security duties performed in those positions (which you may or may not have), then you are on your way to completing the experience requirements.

The other requirement is, of course, the exam. By studying for the exam you can learn the details of the CBK domains. If you only have a year or two of documentable experience in security duties, then you can sit for the exam and become an Associate of (ISC)2. However, do not take the exam unless you have at least two years of security experience, because there is a time limit on completing your certification once named as an Associate. 

I recommend you first obtain the Official (ISC)² CISSP Study Guide, 8th edition, to understand the domains. If you like the idea of pursuing the certification, to get more in depth understanding of the domains add the Official (ISC)² CISSP CBK Reference, Fifth Edition, to your library, and use both to both prepare for the exam and to evaluate your security experience. 

Good luck!

Craig

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts
Kaity
Community Manager

Hi @BonezUK ! This page has some information about the CISSP work experience requirements that might help you determine if you'll meet them - https://www.isc2.org/Certifications/CISSP/experience-requirements

As @CraginS said, your experience has to tie to the domains (any of them) and total 5 years. We do waive 1 year of the experience requirement for a degree in a relevant field or already holding another relevant certification. 

vivekm121
Viewer

Going through thoughts about taking the CISSP course, and trying for certification. I have been doing contract work in the USA. which was full-time paid, as a network security engineer. I am wondering does that qualify for the work experience requirements. 

I have a master's degree, in information security from the U.S. National Center of Academic Excellence in Information Assurance Education  (CAE/IAE). institute in US, and if achieve certification from the long list of vendor certifications does that add to the experience requirements along with master's degree? 

Please guide.

Kind regards

Vivek