Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davidwaynemills
Newcomer II

Under what circumstances would (ISC)2 retract a provisional pass under the new CAT test format?

Hi,

I have provisionally passed the CISSP exam which was in the new CAT format.  I am trying to figure out whether "provisional" means the pass result could be retracted, and under what circumstances that could occur.  

I have read through the material on scoring here: https://www.isc2.org/register-for-exam/exam-scoring-faqs .  Based on that material, I did in fact receive a passing score (between 700-1000).  

I read the result printed for me at the Pearson test center, as well as the information about CAT testing provided by (ISC)2 online.  This information indicates that it could take 2-5 days for (ISC)2 to receive my results from the test center, and another 4-6 weeks for additional "psychometric and forensic" evaluation before I am contacted about my final result.

What I'm trying to figure out is whether the 'psychometric and forensic' part:

1. is just some additional data gathering necessary due to the CAT process; or
  2. could result in a final decision of "failed"?

#2 is what is concerning me.  If it is possible, could I get more detail on what specifically could cause scoring adjustment and possibly take me below the passing grade?  

Thanks

David Wayne Mills

3 Replies
Kaity
Community Manager

Hello David,

Congrats on your provisional pass, and thanks for the questions. Everyone who sits for an exam and initially meets the passing standards receives provisional, unofficial exam result like you have.  

In response to your first question, the (ISC)² psychometric and forensic evaluation is unrelated to our switch to the CAT format. Our process for analyzing and evaluating results has not changed. You can find more details at https://www.isc2.org/Register-for-Exam under the Results Reporting section.

For your second question, this process is not designed to change the passing standard for the exam. The purpose is to conduct a thorough statistical and psychometric analysis of the score data to establish the pass/fail score before releasing official scores to you.

davidwaynemills
Newcomer II

Thanks Kaity!  So that last part ("releasing official scores to you") is interesting ....... will (ISC)2 give me the actual number between 700-1000 that I scored on the test, once the statistical and psychometric analysis is complete?  I've heard that passing scores were not supplied on previous iterations.

Thanks

David Wayne Mills

Kaity
Community Manager

Hi David - that's correct. Passing scores were not provided on the linear version and that will remain the same on CAT.