Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Imran_sdq
Newcomer II

Passed CISSP April 30th - New Exam with Old Material

Finally took the exam and passed it on April 30th, last day of the CISSP Voucher w Retake Exam Voucher - March Promotion.

I prepared for the old Exam, but glad I took the new exam which had 125 - 150Q in 3 Hrs. Old exam 125 - 175 Q in 4hrs would had been harder, sitting for 3.5 to 4 hrs. straight. Folks who did 6 hr test must be super giants.

I took more time for the first 5 questions and made sure to answer them correctly. Then questions started getting progressively harder and would go a notch easier if answering wrong and then harder, exactly as described for the adaptive at ISC2. I was at 118th or so Q, and 18 min left, exam ended and thank goodness, result was provisionally passed.

Questions covers all domains, clue is to think and prepare logically, understand concepts and learn the field.

I am ancient like Pyramid of Giza and memory brittle like neolithic artifacts, so I took my sweet time, I prepared than start all over.

Material: 

1. Sybex OSG and Official Practice Test.

I found the book quiet disconcerting as I am the type who wants to relate things, but the book does not follow the ISC2 domains in order, So I bought (2.) Syngress CISSP Study Guide 4th Ed. It is short and follows CISSP 8 domains, but OSG has more material, and accuracy at the cost of disorganized chapter layout.

3. 11th Hr Eric Conrad. Manuscript is old, but a worthwhile read.

4. Official CISSP CBK Reference. I just used it sparingly, probably no need to spend money, but do buy if you are a bookaholic like me and want to display your dusty book collection.

Methodology:

CISSP has lots of material and a big and critical field so one should aim to learn it not just to pass the exam.

If one has a solid background in Networking, System Administration, IT Support, can pass it.

My suggestions, after going through material 2-3 times, go to the material and your notes a final time in last 5-7 days. From book, just browse fast and reread topics you think you need to get more clarity. Last 5 days your mind works fast too.

I had worked in Networking/System Administration, IT Support, System Engineering, and last over 10 years in Infrastructure/Solution Architecture which covers every facet of IT except Software Development, that is IMO, one is in the best position to adopt CISSP for career in Cyber Security. I did CISSP because I don't have anything new to learn and enjoy in traditional IT/Engineering.

Good Luck to future CISSP aspirants.

8 Replies
EM1
Viewer II

Congratulations on your achievement 🏆 and thank you for sharing your certification journey !

ericgeater
Community Champion

Excellent, Imran!  Congratulations on your achievement!

-----------
A claim is as good as its veracity.
waliji
Newcomer III

Congratulations Imran

I also passed my exam after 15th of April changes.

Best part is you have cleared the exam stage. Endorsement stage is now required and then ISC2 review.

I correction regarding exam is total questions are now min 100 to max 150, not 125 to 150.

gsv
Viewer

Congratulations.

Since you studied with the old guide/practice test but took new exam, what difference did you notice? are there new topics that weren't covered by the guide?

Imran_sdq
Newcomer II

Thank you, Waliji...for the correction.

I think ISC2 gives good enough chance with the Adaptive test and 100 - 150 Q's. if you are progressing well, then one should pass anywhere between 100 - 120's. 

Imran_sdq
Newcomer II

I wasn't at all focusing on differences...there are some videos out there that gives some info, Destination Certification is one. Also ISC2 has published topics covered in new exam.

There were few questions that went over my head, but I think, ISC2 will give some questions out of syllabus to check one's knowledge.

CISSP-Detailed-Content-Outline-with-Weights-2024.pdf (isc2.org)

Those who have made investment in buying the book bundle can use old ones, I will however, buy new book anyway as I would not take chances, passing exam is the target so $100 here or there doesnt matter.

ISC2 has another two try bundle, but the cost is a bit high, U.S. $749 + $199

Start 2024 as a CISSP! (isc2.org).

Just put time to learn the field, and you shall be on your way to become CISSP.

cflower
Newcomer I

Hi!

When you prepared for the exam, did you notice that there are different topics in the Official CISSP CBK Reference book and the Sybex OSG and Official Practice Test topics? I have noticed differences in the topics, at least for Domain 3. I was wondering which one is more up-to-date or should be considered more "reliable" given your experience with the exam. Could you help me?

Thank you!

ayou7647
Newcomer I

I passed 25th April after 4-6 weeks of working 8 -9 hours a day and spending spare time/weekends studying.  

I used, OSG 9th Edition + Official Practice tests, Peter Zerger CISSP Exam Cram, Luke Ahmed's Book, Memory Palace, Pocket Prep, Dummies Guide to CISSP, Thor (Udemy).

I was using material for 2021 exam, and used Peter's course and Thors for 2024 exam differences.

Bought the 2 tries, but passed on first attempt 🙂

Now just waiting for endorsement ...